The Quiet Truth

The ride back to Marble Falls was quiet. There was nothing left to do or say. We could not chase the truck. We called the Dallas and Marble Falls Police but had too few details to help. They said they would call when they had any information. Marmie & Me was out of business. I curled up in the back seat and tried to sleep.

"Is she asleep?" Mom asked Nana.

I kept my eyes closed tightly and played possum.

"Yep," said Nana. "She is out. You think this is her last year with us?"

"It might have been the last year for all of us," Mom said.

"You'll figure it out. You always do. You'll be back," Nana reassured. "Next year, Cricket will be in college and after that she will have her life. I don't think quilting is in her future. I think she is going to run away from it as fast as she can."

"No," said Mom. "It's in her. Just like it is in me. You saw me; I tried to run. But she won't. She can't."

"I think she is stronger than you."

I smiled.

"I know she is," Mom said. "What do I do?"

"About what?"

"Everything. She is wrapped up in this mess with the shop, and she is very serious about her boyfriend. I am so afraid she will make the same mistakes I made."

"Mistakes? They are not mistakes. They are just stumbles."

"Thanks, Mom."

"Let me finish, stumbles on the path that will always lead you back to yourself. No matter what, you cannot outrun yourself. She can't run. She is not a runner anyway. Now, you on the other hand, you were a runner, but no mistakes. Was she planned? No. Is she a mistake? No. Does it matter?"

"No." Mom said softly. "I just wish I knew..."

"Well you don't. You won't. You just have to watch. And I get to laugh!"

"Very funny. I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"I am going to close my eyes. You all right to drive?"

"Perfectly."

I could hear Mom sighing. Nana was snoring instantly.

I could feel my stomach turning. I was worried about the quilt shop and Mitchell Goose, but there was something else. My stomach dropped more as I thought about the one thing I could not tell Mom. Not then. Not ever, if I could keep it that long. I touched my necklace and thought about Tyler and what had happened the night before we left for the show. In the midst of all the turmoil, I was nervous, happy, worried, and hopeful.

We rode in silence for the last hour of the trip.

"Cricket, we made it," Mom interrupted my thoughts.

I opened my eyes ready to get out of the car and get into bed. But we weren't at home. We were parked in front of Marmie & Me. "Why are we here?"

"I have to unload the few machines we have left."

"Oh my gosh, tonight? Can't it wait until the morning?"

"No. It can't. I have enough to do tomorrow. It will only take about 20 minutes, and then we will be done. Remember, there is no truck coming."

"Fine," I muttered as I opened the car door. "Pop the trunk." I banged on the car. She opened the trunk and got out of the car. She was unlocking the door when I heard a man yelling from down the strip.

"Miss Candy!"

Nana was getting out of the car and smirked, "Here comes one of your friends."

Mom turned her head and squinted. Big Chuck, from the Indigo Ink was heading our way.

"Miss Candy. We've got some new information. We know where he is."

"Where who is? How do you know?"

"Bud phoned us. He told us to be ready to help you unpack, he said to meet him at Local Taco."

"Big Chuck, tell me what you know!"

"Hold up. He is coming and I will tell you both. Let me get those for you little one," he said as he pulled the sewing machine out of my hand and carried it inside.

I went out to get another one from the trunk. "I got it," said One-eyed Steve, a short tattoo artist with flowers on his arm and poker cards popping up on the sleeve of his other. "You go inside and wait with your mother."

"Thanks. Um," I stammered trying to figure out what to call him.

He winked with his one good eye, "Call me Steve."

I went inside and Mom was sitting on the sofa in the back of the store with her phone to her ear. "All right, let me get everything inside. We will meet you next door in five minutes."