Chapter 15: Ours

#DS5Unbowed #EmbRace #PuppyCouple #DaggerSeries

CHAPTER 15: OURS

EMBER'S POV

Naalimpungatan ako nang marinig ko ang pagbukas ng pintuan. I saw Trace trying to be quiet as he entered the room. It's no use since I've always been a light sleeper. Except when I've had too much to drink the night before or when he's with me.

Lumapit ang binata sa kinaroroonan ko na napansin na gising na ako. He pulled my blanket up, tucking me in. "You don't need to wake up, princes. I was just checking on you."

Imbis na sundin siya ay umupo at niyakap ko ang mga tuhod ko habang pinapasadahan siya ng tingin. "Are... are you okay?"

"I am."

"Did you catch him?" I whispered.

"We did."

"Is it over then?"

Does it mean that I need to go back now? If they caught him, then there's no reason for me to stay with them anymore.

My chest tightened with pain at the thought. I've been to different countries for years, and I've been alone at Rancho Callista for what feels like forever. I've never been attached to one place... pero bakit pakiramdam ko ay nadudurog ang puso ko na ngayon ay kailangan ko ng umalis sa lugar na sandali pa lang akong nanatili?

"I need to tell you something important, Ember. Tomorrow we'll—"

I don't want to go.

"Can I stay until the end of the week? I have a lot of things to pack and..." I don't want to go.

Sandaling pinagmasdan niya lang ako. Kinagat ko ang ibabang labi ko na para bang magagawa no'ng pigilan ang luhang nagsisimulang mamuo sa mga mata ko. Don't cry. Stop being pathetic, Ember.

I heard Trace curse under his breath, and in an instant, I was wrapped in his arms.

"That's not what I was supposed to tell you, princess."

"You caught him."

"It's not yet over." Humigpit ang pagkakayakap niya sa akin. "You're not leaving."

It feels like he's not just talking about the current situation. That I don't need to leave yet because the case is not over. Instead... it feels like there was something definite behind his words.

"We have something important to discuss about the case tomorrow..." Nagbaba siya ng tingin sa suot na relos. "Later. When you slept longer and you're fully rested." He met my eyes, and then he gently ran his fingers through my hair. "Stay here for now. I need to go back to the meeting first."

Nilingon ko ang orasan na nakapatong sa bedside table. It's already one in the morning.

"Can't we talk now? Hindi rin naman ako makakabalik sa pagtulog hanggang hindi ko alam kung anong nangyayari." I barely slept when he was away. I doubt I'll be successful at sleeping peacefully this time.