2. Afton 💚

Afton's POV

Bzzt bzzt bzzt

Keandre's phone vibrated somewhere on the bed,waking us up at 7:00am.

My eyes burnt from the lack of sleep as I pried them open.

We had arrived at our apartment just past 3am, threw ourselves on the bed,make-up and all and dozed off.

"Where's this bloody phone!?" Keandre said as we searched for the phone in the blankets.

"Found it!" I said and immediately switched it off.

My body begged me to sleep, but we had lectures to attend.

After dragging ourselves off the bed, we managed to take quick showers and get dressed in our rooms.

A few minutes later, Keandre strolled into my room with two energy drinks in her hands as I was fixing my wig.

"Don't forget the promise." She said as I brushed my wig.

I had promised to start wearing my natural hair out to gain more confidence in it.

Keandre had the looser curl pattern and softer hair, styled in a tapered cut. Mine was extremely coily and drove me to insanity on most days. During my school days, other kids used to call me "kroeskop". I spent most of my life practically frying my hair with relaxer.

"Ag...I'll try next week." I said

"Come ooon!" She whined

"It's literally Friday today. I'll try again on Monday. Ek belowe.(I promise)" I said

"Pinky promise?"

I reluctantly joined my pinky finger to hers. I'm in trouble.

"This hair is just too much to handle." I said

"I've seen many girls rock their 4C hair. You just have to be patient..."

I took one of the energy drinks from her hand. "The jurisprudence lecturer doesn't have patience for any late comers. Let's get out of here real quick."

After a brief walk, we arrived at one of the entrances at the University of Pretoria. We scanned our student cards at the turnstiles and walked into campus. Keandre blabbered on the phone with her romantic partner all along the way.  I'm okay with being aro but sometimes being around couples made me curious about what liking someone in a romantic way even feels like...

We separated as she departed into the Economic Management Sciences building and I began my journey to the Thuto building.

As I walked straight down campus. My eyes landed onto Her. The Pretty girl from yesterday. My heart beat faster in excitement.

She's a student here!? Oh my word!

She sat crossed legged on a bench, engrossed in a book.

I really admire people who make time to read during uni 'cause the workload is a lot. Does she like reading out loud to people? It would be so wonderful to have my head on her lap and listen to her read...

I gotta talk to her. Today.

As I walked towards her, a boy sat next to her. I stopped in my tracks.

Huh! Her boyfriend?...wait...is she alloro?

Of course she is!

Everyone around here is.

She laughed at something he said. Woah. She looked even more breathtaking. I wanted to press my hands onto her cheeks and feel the heat radiating onto my palms. I want to kiss them too. She's just too cute!

I continued scurrying to my class.

I hope I get to see her again...

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading ! 💚
Don't forget to vote & comment!

Glossary:

Ag: interjection used to show annoyance or sympathy about something

Alloro: short for "alloromantic" ; somebody who experiences romantic attraction

Kroeskop: an offensive term referring to a person with tightly coiled hair

Ek belowe: (Afrikaans) "I promise"