8. Afton 💚

Afton's POV

I'm going to see my squish today! I'm totally the luckiest girl in Hatfield!

My final lecture for the day seemed to be taking aeons to finish.

I checked the time.

14:36

The lecture is supposed to end at 15:20.

I unlocked my phone to continue my chat with Keandre.

Keandre🌷: didn't you say she liked your story on international asexuality day?? She could also be acespec 💃🏽

Afton💚: probably 😌idk tho
i doubt we'll talk about sexuality stuff today
i really wanna kno if she's ace though

Keandre🌷: relax for now. Don't have any expectations. Take it as if you're just making a new (possibly allo)friend that's it

Afton💚: you're right...it would be so cool if she's ace though 🥲
ok gotta go before the lecturer noticed that I'm on my phone
*notices

Minutes later, the lecture ended and it was finally time to meet up with Nandi. I packed all my things into my backpack and skated to the campus food court where we agreed to meet.

I waited outside 'cause trying to find each other in there would be too much of a hassle as it was full and busy.

I slipped out my phone from my pocket to text her when someone tapped my arm. I turned around. It was her.

"Hey." She said with a smile. It was extremely enchanting.

Aesthetic attraction will be the death of me.

She hugged me. I wish it could happen over and over again.

"So how is your day going?" I asked

We complained about the blistering Pretoria weather and our degrees as we made our way into the bustling food court. Nandi offered to stand in the line to get us some slushies while I kept a table for us.

After Nandi got our slushies and she sat opposite me.

I'm with my squish! This is really happening!

Pinch me if I'm dreaming, seriously...

She looked at my teeny weeny afro and I wanted to shrivel up and disappear. I should've worn my wig today. I need to buy more doeks whe-

A small smile graced her lips."You look really cute with your natural hair. I've never seen it."

Huh? No. She's probably be lying. She's lying. There's no way.

"Hmm girl, stop lying..." I said

"I'm dead serious."

"T-thank you for that. I'm sorry for not taking the compliment. It's just that I'm insecure about my short hair and the texture too. All my life I thought my hair was something that needed to be fixed. I remember going to a family function, and everybody told me that I look better with straight hair. I've tried growing my natural hair many times, but I always give up and go back to relaxing. This is like my third attempt..."

"What? No. Babes, you shouldn't be insecure about it. It's beautiful; there's nothing to be fixed. It suits you so well. We don't need straight hair or loose curls to be beautiful. Actually, if you need any help with your hair. I'm here. I can do hair too."