9. Nandi 💜

Nandi's POV

"Mzala!"

I smiled looking at the sun-kissed selfies Afton had sent me.

I went back to our messages.

Afton💚: my aunt says she wants to be friends with you so you can do her hair too lol 🤣

Nandi🧡: well you do look good 😍

Nandi🧡: I had fun last time. I was wondering if we can go out again sometime after recess?

Afton💚: I thought you'd never ask! we should totally do something. What do you have in mind?🥰

A pillow hit me square in the face. "Nandi!" Thando, my cousin said

"Crap! Sorry...where were we?"

"It was your turn to talk about your boy problems..."

I sighed. "Oh...that..."

She smirked. "Seems like you don't have any, judging by the way you're looking at your phone these days."

I chuckled. "Haibo not everybody that smiles at their phone is dating. Friends are a thing. Memes are a thing."

Thando gave me a quizzical look. "Seriously? Don't lie."

I connected my phone to the charger. "Ngikhuluma iqiniso mzala. (I'm telling the truth, cousin). Either way, you know how hard it is for me to get a date because I'm asexual."

"But you said you don't mind having sex. You're no different than everyone else then. Soooo what is the big deal?"

"I don't mind vele. I  just want someone who understands what asexuality is about. I want someone who doesn't make my lack of sexual attraction a problem in the relationship. Someone who'll take it slow and respect my boundaries. So far, I haven't had that. You know, I actually don't want sex to be that big of a deal or even a requirement in the relationship."

"Pfft! Come on! You just need the right dick and it'll be fun. You'll wanna do it everyday! Ngiyakutshela!(I'm telling you)."

I rolled my eyes as Thando chuckled, dipping the mop in the bucket.

We were spending recess/the school holidays at Gogo's place. Our younger cousins were always outside playing with other kids in the neighbourhood until sunset, while we, the eldest grandkids, had to tackle all the house chores. I miss being a stress free kid yazi (you know).

"That's not applicable to me, mzala. Asexuality is not quote unquote fixed by having good sex..."

"But then what's a relationship without sex at some point though? That's a friendship. No man will ever agree to that."

Ouch.

"Some people whether asexual or not, just don't wanna do it often, or even at all. Relationships are different for everyone,Thando."

"But imagine dying a virgin? Yohhh. " Thando said

"That's completely okay. We all value and prioritise different things in life..."

"Have you ever heard of platonic life partners? Would you get one?" I asked, attempting to change the topic.

Thando erupted in laughter and I instantly regretted my question. Why ask Thando that? The most allo "everybody needs to be dating and have sex" person in the world, besides my parents...wait never-mind, everyone in this family is this way...damn why did I have to be the aroace spec one.