6. Afton 💚

Afton's POV

Finally! My lectures for the day are over!

I skated to one of the gates on campus while listening to my favourite Frank Ocean song on my headphones.

I made my way out of campus and meandered through the busy streets of Hatfield by foot. Dodging myriads of people with my favourite skateboard wasn't on my roster.

I nearly tripped when I saw Nandi on the other side of the street. She was taking a walk with somebody, a bouquet of flowers in her arms.

Soo I guess her date apologised or what?

All the excitement that stuck with me after interacting with her at the cafe fizzled away.

Why does it bother me to see her going out with someone anyway? I'm aromantic so what the heck is going on?

💚

Keandre and I had been studying throughout the late afternoon so we decided to take a study break and head to McDonald's.

We were currently seated, having  some McFlurries when the conversation shifted to Nandi.

"Do you feel jealous of her potential romantic partners though? " Keandre asked

"I know it's not romantic or sexual attraction, obviously. I think I dislike that she wants a romantic partner. I hate the fact that I'll never be able to do that for her. You know, have romantic feelings...take her out...be her person. It sucks." I said

Keandre reluctantly held my hand. Physical touch wasn't her forte. "Sorry, vriendin..."

"It's yeah...it's whatever. I'm gonna work on getting over my squish on her."

My phone lit up with an Instagram notification.

I unlocked my phone.

@nandi_shange followed you

My heart skipped a beat.

"Wag! (Wait!) Is this real?" I said

"What?"

"She followed me!"

"Nandi? DM her!" Keandre said

"Wait...I really don't know what to say 'cause I really like her. I can tell her that.  She'll understand that and assume that I just wanna be her casual friend, but I don't just want that, Keandre! My squish on her is deeper than that! I don't wanna hang out with her here and there. I want to be her personal person. I want to do everything with Nandi. I don't want a boy...or girl coming in between us. But how ?

"How do I explain that I don't experience romantic feelings but still like her very much and want to be her partner in a way? How do I explain that to an allo person without sounding odd? People wanna build their lives around romantic partners. What if she doesn't get what I mean? What if she gets it...but then gets bored and leaves me for a real romantic partner ?"

"Girl, slow down. Baby steps, remember? Ask her out for some coffee, maybe. Get to know her...I can only imagine how difficult trying to find a life partner in this allonormative world is. Your feelings are super valid. But you never know until you try. Nandi might be open minded. You have to talk to her. If she's a bitch about aroace people, then leave."

"Okay. Thank you, Keandre. Um..."- I picked up my phone-"Actually... I'll text her some other time. Not now. She literally just followed me now now."

I picked up my phone and followed her back.

Keandre chuckled. "I've never seen you like this, ever."

"You having fun with it, huh?"

"Too much. It's really interesting to see. Promise me you'll DM her though?"

"Ja. Ek belowe." (Yes. I promise)

Keandre stood up and came to my side of the table and actually hugged me."Good girl."

I hugged her. "I'm shocked that you're hugging me. You're a good hugger even."

She quickly let go.

I chuckled. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"Yeah whatever, let's go back home now." She said

I was in high spirits for the rest of the evening.

My squish really followed me! She knows me and followed me!