5. Nandi 💜

Nandi's POV

It had been ages since I've been on a date and I called my mother to help me to relax my nerves.

"Make sure to be yourself, Nandi." My mother said at the end of our phone call.

"I will, Mama. Thank you. Love you."

"Love you too, mntwana wam'. Bye."

After the call, I texted my date.

Nandi: I'm inside the café 💕

I looked around the café. It was quite empty because it was the middle of the week, in the morning.

I had opted out of doing my make-up and applied some lipgloss instead. Make-up would've been quite over the top for a simple coffee date.

I had arrived at least fifteen minutes earlier; I really hate to make people wait. I took out my novel and started reading where I left off.

After reading an entire chapter. I looked at the time and my date was twenty minutes late.

Haibo!

Picking up my phone, I had the urge to tell Minami about my date that wasn't showing up.

Wait...She's not in my life anymore. My heart broke all over again. Why do I keep thinking of her? When will I get used to her absence ? When will it stop hurting ?

I opened Bumble and went to Mpho's profile. They actually stay in Hatfield, so why couldn't they make it?

Nandi: heyy Mpho, still coming?

Let me stay 5 more minutes.

I plugged in my earphones and went onto my YouTube. None of my comfort YouTubers had uploaded anything.

I absentmindedly scrolled down my recommendations until a familiar face caught my eye.

Life with Afton

I tapped on the most recent video titled, "A Day In My Life"

In her vlog, she wore a straight wig with a middle part. She had rosy beige skin and almond eyes that squinted whenever she smiled. Cute.

The camera quality was impeccable,the background music was just right and her voice was as clear as day. It was too good. I saved it to finish it later.

My phone vibrated. It wasn't Mpho. Just another match on Bumble.

Eish!

I texted Mpho.

Nandi: this is a very busy week for me. I would have appreciated if you'd let me know that you won't make it to our date. I'm leaving now, I have a lecture soon. Would've loved to meet you. Hope you are okay and safe 🤍

I closed all my apps and let out a sigh of relief. Well, no more pressure and my day is all mine now! I sipped on my coffee and texted Mama.

Nandi: Mama...my date didnt happen🤷🏽‍♀️ the person didn't show up

I happened to look up and spotted Afton walking into the cafe. She was wearing a head wrap, and her glasses were perched up her nose. She had a skateboard in her arm. She skates? That's so cool. Her brown eyes searched the café for a seat.

Then they landed onto me. Crap! I had been staring at her the whole time. Embarrassing. I waved at her to make it less weird. Her eyes lit up though and she smiled sweetly. I was relieved. That means she wasn't weirded out by my staring,right?  Or she didn't notice ?

She walked up to me, and sat down opposite me. She had a sweet strawberry scent. I like strawberry.

"Did anybody tell you that staring is rude?" She teased

Eish. She clocked it.

"Can't really resist a pretty face like yours." I said, attempting to wink.

I can't wink. I always end up blinking with both of my eyes.

Afton laughed. "Girly, is there something in your eye?"

"Pretend that you never saw that." I said

"What didn't I see?" She said, winking perfectly. Show off.

"I appreciate the compliment though...that I'm pretty and all..." Afton said, fiddling with a white ring on her finger.

She actually looked flustered.

"Aww, I'm just telling the truth. I mean it."

"So, what you up to?" She asked

"Remember the date I told you about. I got stood up. Imagine!"

Her gentle face creased with concern. "I'm sorry that your date stood you up. I hope they can make it up to you soon."

"Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Enough about me. What about you? Any person you fancy right now?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

She laughed a little too hard, almost like I had asked the most ridiculous question in the entire galaxy. "No one. I'm focussed on me, myself and this hectic degree."

"Oookay. We love a focused babe. If you need help with a crush or anything one day. I'm your girl.  My friends say I give great relationship advice. Oo we should go on a double date; I've always wanted to try that."

"Ja...seems like a... cool concept..."- she looked at her watch. "I'd love to chat, but I need to facilitate a discussion board. I'm a tutor for first-years."

"Ohhh okay that's really cool. Hope you have fun."

"Girl, I'll try." -she scanned the café again- "Oo my favourite seat is finally free. I'll catch you later."

"Cool."

She went her way.

I got up and started my long walk to campus.

I should've asked for her number, maybe?

Author's Note:

Thank you so much reading! I appreciate y'all !💜
Don't forget to vote & comment!

Glossary:

Eish: an interjection used to show annoyance, disappointment or shock

Mntwana wam' [Zulu] : my child