10. Afton💚

Afton's POV

It was the first Friday after recess and most importantly, my first official friendship date with Nandi! During recess we had compiled a list of dates we want to go on. We were going on a simple a restaurant date today.

A knock sounded on the door as I sprayed some setting spray on my make-up.

Wait. I'm not expecting anyone and Nandi's classes don't finish until 15:30...

I walked to the door and opened it. It was actually Nandi. She was even more beautiful with her make-up and orange dress. She held a bouquet of fresh flowers in her hands.

Wait...is that for me?

"Yes silly. They're for you." -She handed them to me, as if she had heard my thoughts- "Congratulations on 3K subscribers. Now close that mouth."

My heart melted and I embraced her.

"Awwww, thank you. I've never received flowers before. Like ever. These will look so good in my room." I said as I looked at the colourful bunch.

"This is the first of many. You look very beautiful, didn't know the pink flowers would match your dress."

"Thank you. Thank you. You look beautiful too." I replied ,"Come in."

She shut the door and walked into the kitchen.

"My class got cancelled today; that's why I'm here." Nandi stated

"Oh okay. I was really surprised...I actually have something for you too."

I grabbed my purse and handed her a slab of dark chocolate. "I was gonna give you during the date but, since you're already here."

Her eyes brightened up in delight. "My favourite!"

I can spend the rest of my life doing this, making her smile.

Afterwards, we left the apartment and walked down Hatfield to catch a taxi to Menlyn Mall.

After we arrived in Menlyn, we walked quite a distance to get the restaurant. We were welcomed by a kind waitress and ushered to the perfect quiet corner.

Going out on a student budget meant that we had already Googled the menu way before (to check if it's affordable), so we knew exactly what we wanted to order. We both ordered some wine and delicious pasta.

"I really hope that no men interrupt us today." I said

"Bruh! I hope so too."

"Like how you gonna say you'll change my sexuality if I give you a try?"

"Girl, I had to deal with so much of that shit during my dating era."

"Dating era? So, you're no longer doing it?"

Nandi took a sip of her wine and winced."Um...yeah no. Maybe this one isn't for me. The wine I mean."

"We should totally go wine tasting some time to see what we like."

Her eyes brightened up. "That's a great idea!"

I took out my phone and added "wine tasting" to our list.

"To answer your questions, yes, I'm over dating. I'm not romance-favourable. I was forcing things the whole time. Throughout the years, I had lost myself to amato- um..."

I chuckled. "You mean amatonormativity? I also struggled with the word shame."

She gave me a grateful look. "Yeah. I lost myself to amatonormative ideas. I always assumed that it would be weird to not have a romantic partner. I'm slowly learning to let go of all the internalised aphobia I have. I'm sick of not being happy with myself, it's just not healthy."

"I'm really proud of you for taking this step. I know it probably won't be an easy journey, but I'll be with you. "

"Thanks friend. You know, having a friend like you helped me. I admire that you don't give a shit about what the world says. I know it may be too soon to say this but our friendship has made me feel safer and freer than any romantic relationship ever has. I feel at home when I'm with you. I feel like I belong."

I held her hand from across the table, feeling so warm inside.

My squish is really saying all this to me?

"I'm glad that you feel that way around me, my forever squish. I'm so happy that we're getting close. I've been squishing on you ever since the day I saw you at the club. I barely have squishes, so it is quite an interesting feeling. I even found myself scared. Scared that I wouldn't be enough for you. Before realising I'm aro, I didn't understand why my platonic love could never be enough.

"Why did people need romance or place it in such a high regard ? Why did people leave amazing friendships for a romantic partner they've just met? Why did people think it's strange to live with a friend or alone forever? I then realised that I'm aromantic, and that I'll never understand romance for the life of me. I know that my platonic love will never be enough for somebody who has a romantic cup to fill, and that's okay. But I've always wanted to be somebody's personal person , but I didn't know how since I'm aro and romance-repulsed. I'm glad that I've met someone who's just like me. I hope our bond continues to grow exponentially. I hope that nothing ever comes between us. "

"Awww, I just love how you get me. Our friendship means so much to me. Hard relate to wanting to be somebody's person. I've actually been meaning to propose something for a while... I really wanna try partnership...in a different way. With you..."

My heart raced. She beat me to it. I wasn't even planning on asking today. Oh my gosh! This is such a dream come true.

"Wait...are you serious? Are you sure? You're saying you want me to be your life partner? Your queer platonic partner?" I said, I had to make sure that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

Pinch me if I'm dreaming.

"Yes. That's what I want"

If it's a dream, I better not wake up then.

"Girl! I would love that! Yes, let's spend the rest of our lives together aromantically!"

💜

After a successful restaurant date , we took an  Uber back to Hatfield. Out of sheer boredom, we got into one of the clubs, we had some drinks, but the vibe was dead 'cause we were too early. We didn't want to wait for two hours for the vibe to pick up so we left,agreeing to hang out at my apartment.

"Keandre went to spend the weekend with her partner; we will have the apartment to ourselves." I stated

"Promise me we won't have sex?" Nandi said as we walked.

I bursted out laughing. "Girl. That's sooooooo random. I was literally thinking about how we won't fight over the Doritos with Keandre."

She giggled. "I was just messing with ya."

Tipsy on the street with my squish. Such a vibe.

I chuckled."Thank God."

We linked arms as we walked up the street. When we got to the apartment, we snuggled up on my bed with a bag of Doritos and watched some K-Dramas.

I could have not asked for a better way to spend my Friday.

Author's Note:

I appreciate your support! 💚

Don't forget to vote/comment!