Chapter 6

I gasped and stepped back. Wincing as the handrail smacked into my lower back, I squeaked with shock.

"Please don't scream again. I didn't mean to frighten you."

All that I could do was stare. The wall was talking to me.

I was going insane. I'd lost my mind.

There was no one in there. It was not possible.

Maybe there was a hidden path to another place. A tunnel or a door, perhaps. Maybe this was a drug house that people used to move between houses to avoid attention. The wall was not new, but I wasn't a builder, so I couldn't be sure about its actual age.

"Am I really a no-one person?"

"I guess not. This is not real, is it?"

"It is."

His voice was soft and husky, filled with amusement. I didn't try to be funny, but clearly, I was.

"Are you behind the wall?"

"I am."

"Is there a way out?"

"No."

Warily I moved from the rail that was digging into my back and stepped forward.

"That's not possible. You would be dead unless the wall has only just been put up. How long have you been there?"

"Far too long, and it is possible when you're not human."

I snorted a huff, rolling my eyes with pure amusement.

"Yeah, sure. Good one. You can stop with the jokes. I know you're at the vent whispering this rubbish to me."

"Evie, is that your name?"

"Yeah,"

I couldn't get any more hesitant if I tried.

"What year is it?"

"Twenty, twenty-two."

"Then I have been incarcerated in this tomb for over sixty years. This is not a joke. I am Niko Corbin, and I am a vampire."

"I do not believe you. Prove that you're stuck behind that wall."

At this point, I realized that I was a complete idiot. If there really was someone behind that wall, I was inviting them to prove it. I didn't believe in vampires or anything paranormal, so I didn't think that this Niko guy would be able to show himself but damn, I really was asking for trouble.