Chapter 29

The hammock slowly rocked in the gentle breeze. I looked out to the street and watched the land begin to darken. It was not because of nightfall. The rain was returning.

There was a calm feeling to it but something undeniably heavy and unrelenting. It was like the storm would remain and would not leave, like our first week in this town.

Added to the impending storm was a chill that was like nothing I'd ever felt before. I was snuggled between layers of blankets, yet it was still cold. It was quiet, adding to the ominous feelings floating through me.

Any thought of finding relaxation was shot to pieces when I sat up and looked around.

"Where are you?" I whispered.

The screen door opened. Brad let it slap shut behind him.

"Everything okay?"

"He's not here."

"Who? Your father?"

"No, the boy. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen him since you called him out earlier."

Brad gave a disinterested shrug.

"Maybe he's off crying somewhere."

"Brad," I chided.

He wandered over to the railing, leaning with both hands on the weathered rail.

"This is the calm before the storm."

"I was just thinking that. It's kind of creepy."

"You know, annoying the boy might not have been a good idea."

"Too late to go back on it now."

"I realize that. I'm more worried that he was actually telling the truth, and now those other Nephilim are on their way."

I figured they were going to turn up anyway. As for Brad annoying the boy, it was probably a step too far, but it highlighted something that I was not aware of.

Having a biblical being crushing on me was weird. All thoughts about the Nephilim were put aside. My father had emerged from his house. Having him live across the road was good, I suppose. Hopefully, things will work out so that things didn't get weird or ugly.

"Are you ready for your lessons?"

"Yeah."

My tone was filled with a heaviness that showed how I lacked interest.

"I know that we lack time, but we have to remember that Mard could be our only answer to defeating Drakkus."

I nodded, a little glum at the thought. A part of me wanted to unleash the girl warrior that was hiding inside of me. Then I remembered what happened to Andross. Perhaps it was best to keep the warrior in her cage.

My father had things in his arms, what looked like rolled-up yoga mats. With a smile, he walked up the steps to the front porch.

"Ready?"

"I'd rather ignore the issues."

Mardyl chuckled, then handed one of the foam rolls to Brad.

"Me too?"

"You're learning how to help Evie center herself in case I'm not around."

As he walked into the house, Brad followed my father but shot me a glare. One that said he really means when I shun him from my life and he's sent off into the world without a connection to his daughter.