Chapter 28

We sat in silence for a few seconds, but the questions plagued my mind.

"Because of the shapeshifter in us?"

"Correct."

"Can we change form?" Brad asked.

"I would assume yes, but I don't know how it is done as I have not seen a shapeshifter in many years. The last time was several hundred years ago, and it was at a distance. He was in human form, and within the blink of an eye, there was a cat in his place. Then he took off. Shapeshifters are notoriously secretive, more than witches. You may find that the ability will come naturally. You may find that education is your only answer. If that is the case, then I don't know how you will learn. Perhaps there are books. You may be lucky enough to find another who will be willing to teach you."

Brad and I exchanged looks, thoroughly confused.

"I don't understand how a species can have only one gender."

"That is a question that is still being asked to this day. The vampires don't know the answer. Many suspect that there is a female version of their race, but they are elusive or hidden in a country or some other random idea that they pull out of the air."

Mardyl flicked his hand dismissively, looking like he lacked the ability to care about the subject. I did. I wanted to know why there were no female vampires.

Brad stood with his mug in hand, taking Mardyl's when he offered it.

"Another?"

"Please."

"You want something, Evie?"

"Juice, thanks."

With a nod, Brad wandered off. He looked like I felt. Confused. Full of questions but not knowing where to begin.

"You said that vampires are after us because we're Corbin, and we can create females. Why is this so important as opposed to another race, like humans or witches?"

"Well, there are many that believe they are diluting the line of the vampires by creating children with turned humans. They won't go near a witch, even if they could find one. With a female vampire, they can create a line that is closer to the original source. Also, the more females they can create, the greater numbers the vampires can attain. Your mother told me a story once, hoping that I'd be able to understand her need to hide. It came from her mother, who as a child could not understand why she was taken from her home and her father. Your great-grandmother told your grandmother that there was a bad man that found out that she existed and what she was. He demanded that she was betrothed to him, and your great-grandfather would not allow it."

I sent the child and my wife away for safety reasons, and I have not seen them since.

The words saddened me at the time.

Niko's morose face still haunted me. I wish he was here.