Chapter 25

I learned that to be the true and only leader of the vampires in Hades, I had to take Drakkus down. As in, kill him. Of course, someone else could do it, but to be seen as a strong leader, it was ideal that I did it. Eddios said that it would be difficult for me because I was only eighteen and Drakkus was an old vampire. Essentially, I did not stand a chance.

At that lovely revelation, the rest of the vampires were brought into the conversation. I was told their names, but it would take time for me to learn it. I expected the Nephilim boy to tell me learning their names was pointless and not to bother. He didn't. All that he did was stand in the corner of the room like a wooden puppet. Lifeless.

The only way that I was going to get through this, defeat Drakkus and survive was with their help. I was grateful to have so many people willing to assist a complete stranger.

There was something that had been hinted at, but I think that Eddios was reluctant to discuss it when no one knew how to teach me. My witch abilities.

"The Nephilim boy said that my father is a powerful witch."

"That may be so, but that doesn't make this situation any easier."

"I need to learn how to control these powers. Look at what I did. It was over before I knew what was going on. I can't ignore what is inside me."

"She's right, Eddios. If Evelyn doesn't learn how to use her powers, then we're all at risk."

"And who would you have teach her, Jess? The witches have not been seen in decades. Clearly, there's at least one out there, but where is he? Even if we went to the town where she lived, it's not an indication that we would find him. Her mother frequently moved to hide. Was it from him or the vampires? Maybe there's a good reason that Evelyn's birthday was off."

Iralya stepped in, placing a firm hand on her partner's shoulder to settle his growing anger.

"I think that we can all agree that we need to think about this logically and, perhaps, in stages. The first recommendation that I have is that security is placed around this house and those who dwell in it. We know that Drakkus will stop at nothing to get what he wants, and he may resort to abducting Bradley to make Evelyn cave to his demands."

There was a unanimous agreement, and Jess wrote it down on her notepad.

"An education in becoming a strong leader and teaching Brad how to be her second in charge as the second point. Evelyn needs to complete her schooling. She needs time to be young. The burden of this leadership shall be eased as much as we can manage. At least until the threat is averted."

"A battle plan must be created," Eddios said abruptly. "All of this is pointless if we cannot defeat Drakkus. We'll all be dead. Is there any literature about witches that we can read to help Evelyn?"

Jess looked up from her book, shrugging at her brother.

"There may be something in the library. I can check when we return."

I realized that I'd never been to Kannon's place. He'd been here several times, in and out, as if he lived here yet I'd not stepped foot into his house.