Chapter 24

The Nephilim boy stood beside my desk for the entire day. No matter what classroom I was in, he was there next to me.

"Aren't you bored?"

"I do not understand the concept of boredom."

Closing my locker, I lifted my bag over my shoulder. A shiver went up my spine, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.

"We are not alone," the boy whispered.

"Demon or vampire?" I murmured.

"Demon."

I rolled my eyes and pulled the other strap onto my arm.

"This is getting ridiculous. Now I've got three creatures that want me dead."

"Oh, the demon doesn't want you dead,"

The Nephilim smiled at me.

"He does, however, wish to utilize your services and harness your ability. You should move away before he materializes."

Taking my hand, the Nephilim led me out of the corridor.

"I don't have any ability."

"Wrong," the Nephilim cooed. "You are the offspring of a powerful witch. The demon senses that and knows that you are young and easily corrupted. He would offer you a deal that would seem quite enticing to you but be warned that it will benefit him more than you. Best that you keep your affection for the boy out of his sight. The demon will remove all obstacles."

His grip tightened, and the cold permeated through my skin.

"Aside from my kind, that he has no control over. Your vampire enemies, though, he could certainly deal with them if you were to strike the right bargain. I would not recommend it, though."

"Selling my soul?"

"Demons are not the devil, Evelyn. They do not have such powers. What he would take, though, would leave you thinking that you had, in fact, sold your soul. I suppose that your lack of knowledge regarding the subject is understandable. Fear not. I will be here by your side until my kin arrives, so you will be safe from the demon."

"What's my father like?"

The bright purple eyes looked at me, wide and perhaps stunned.

"I do not know. I was assigned to you and have no information or thoughts on your father. What I know about him is what I have found within you. The power that flows through your veins is strong, which is indicative of a powerful lineage. There were a few witches that could be your father. However, they are all dead. What we face is an unknown entity, and he will sense that you have come of age. That can be dangerous."

We'd reached Kannon's classroom, I stopped, and thankfully he let go of my hand.

"How so?"

"Witches are unpredictable, that is why I said, can be dangerous. I have no idea what would happen, but something tells me that he will not willingly emerge from whatever hole he's hiding in. Once he figures out that he impregnated a vampire, the witch will know what is coming for him. Make no mistake Evelyn, your father will pick his own life over yours. He will leave you to deal with the Nephilim on your own."

"Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?"

The boy paused, looking up to the ceiling as if he had seen someone or something. His smile was malicious but full of amusement.

"However, in recent moments, I have been advised that perhaps those thoughts may be wrong. The future is now unsettled, and there is no direct path ahead. Only time will tell what will happen now."