Chapter 15

It was a new day and another attempt at being a normal teenager. The idea that anything about me or this town was normal was becoming a joke.

The world seemed so much crueler now that I'd lost another person that was important to me. Yet again, I was left with one person to stand beside me in this life. I looked at my uncle with fear in my eyes.

"It's going to be okay, Evie. You've got this."

I nodded, even if I didn't believe him. I had nothing.

"Those kids out there, they don't know about what happened. They're oblivious."

As if life could get any worse, Audrey and her friends walked past the car. They were laughing and chatting, more absorbed in their own lives rather than the world around them.

I blamed her father for Niko's passing. If he'd kept his mouth shut, Niko would still be here, and I would still have my friend and confidant.

"Sure," I murmured.

"Hey, I know it's ahead of schedule, but I thought that you might appreciate it. After all, you keep dropping enough hints."

Brad held out a box with a red bow on it. Pulling the ribbons, I lifted the lid and smiled. It was a new phone.

"Thanks. How much did your boss spend on this?"

"I am offended."

Brad pretended to be deeply hurt by the statement, but the smile was a giveaway. His cheeks lifted as the smile grew.

"Fine, I got it for free. Don't complain. You got the phone that you wanted."

"Oh, I'm not complaining, but you will do better for my real birthday, right?"

"Sure, I guess I can get him to supply a case for it."

I chuckled and pulled the phone out of the box, ignoring the bell that was sounding.

"It's good to go. I even charged it for you. My number is loaded as well as the real estate if you need to call them. Don't know why you would, but it's there just in case. Someone that we know, I guess."

"You are a legend, Bradley."

"I try my best. Now, I heard the bell sounding."

I nodded, but the door wasn't opening.

"You wanted to come back today, Evie. You said that you needed to keep your mind active and not dwell on Niko. I know that you've got a lot on your plate at the moment, but you said you were good for this."

"I am,"

Glancing at the clock on the dashboard, I could see why Brad was getting antsy. He had to clock on by nine am, and it was eight forty-five. It was only a five-minute drive, and Hades had virtually no traffic, so there was no issue here. I guess he didn't want to hang around while waiting for me to figure out what I was doing. He was right, though. I wanted to come back. I said that I was good for it. Was I, though?