Chapter 22

Walking to school was not a difficult task. It was a short walk to the end of the street, across a quiet road to a footpath between two houses, down another street, and then along another street that ran parallel to the main street through town. I could have walked to the main street if I wanted to, but I couldn't be bothered and it was pointless. The back street wasn't as populated, but there were certainly a few people around.

It was cooler this morning, but I didn't mind. The brisk walk was good for me. I was in a good mood, still amused by Brad's hangover and Kannon's affection.

As I reached the end of the back street, I looked down the road and saw Tom walking toward his car. He gave me a cheery wave which I returned. I guess he was happy to get rid of the house. It must have been difficult for him to find tenants for the house that no one wanted to live in. Niko wasn't haunting it, but the place definitely had a creepy vibe to it.

Crossing the road, I stopped and looked at the trees that lined the sports field. I'd forgotten this part of the trek. Brad would have a fit if he knew. I guess that he'd either forgotten like I had or maybe he'd never seen it. From the front of the school, the sports field could not be seen. It was entirely possible that he had no idea that there was a forest here.

It wasn't thick. I could see through the trees and beyond them to the school buildings. The problem was that the canopy made the area dark and posed so many risks.

Deciding that it wasn't worth the drama if Brad found out, I opted to go the long way around and walked around the exterior. I'd be late for school, but it was better than what could happen if I ventured into the darkness.

A wave of tension flushed through me. Something was wrong. I could feel it deep in my stomach as it churned with anxiety. Looking over my shoulder, I scanned the forest because I knew that if someone was watching me, they'd be in there.

I jumped when Tom started his car. Nervousness radiated through me as the sound of the car engine grew closer. The car passed me, continuing to the intersection and turning right. I didn't think Tom was the issue. He seemed harmless.

Tom was not an issue for my safety, but he was a distraction.

Cold wind whipped around me, and before I knew it, I was thrown against a tree trunk. Deep in the darkness, I hit the hard wood with a heavy thud and then fell to my knees in the scrub. I winced, groaning at how much it hurt.

I could still feel everything, so I don't think anything was broken. Just a lot of pain and maybe some nasty bruising.

My bag fell off my shoulder, slumping down my arm. As it hit the scrub, I looked at it. I hadn't zipped it all the way, and I knew that my phone would be in the pocket at the top of the bag. Was it worth scrabbling for it? Brad would not make it in time if I was able to call him. Escape was a far better option at the moment. Maybe run and then try to ring Brad.

A twig snapped, and a burst of merciless laughter echoed through the forest. All thoughts of calling my uncle were gone in a second.

"Little girl."

I knew the voice. It was Andross.

If I had thought about this before walking out of the house, I would have been much wiser. Yes, Brad was hungover and should have stayed in bed, but that didn't mean that I could walk to school without issue.

I thought like this because it was all that I had ever done. Every morning I woke to a hungover mother, sleeping off the previous night's efforts. I would get myself ready for school, and I would walk there by myself. There was no help from her, ever.

So naturally, I thought that at almost eighteen, I could walk to school like I had done every day previously. Living with Brad changed that, he made me catch the school bus. Moving to Hades altered it completely. He was insistent that he drove me every single day.