Chapter 45

Brad's movements were much more relaxed now that he'd fed. We walked through the forest, edging along the estate, and passed the cluster of houses. It was there that I felt my heart drop.

In the distance, I could see a group of people, and Kannon was one of them. Audrey wasn't with him, but I saw the woman I'd tried to get a picture of.

"Hey, Anzide, can you zip back and get my camera, please?"

"Sure."

Brad stood next to me, looking at the view of treachery.

"How many in that group?"

"They're all there, the four remaining out of the five and a few extras that are clearly worth taking out."

"Kannon?"

My mind twisted with thoughts of how lovely it would be to repay his efforts with death, but I had bigger plans.

"I'd rather torture him first," I muttered curtly.

Brad chuckled softly.

The cool wind brushed past us, and Anzide appeared at my other side with the camera in hand.

"Thanks."

Once it was ready to go, I lifted the camera, zoomed in, and took lots of happy snaps. Hopefully, these will be enough for Harlwood. Flicking through the images, I ensured they were all usable and then turned the camera off.

"Let's go. The sooner I get these to Harlwood, the happier I will be."

Leaving the horrid view behind, we trekked through the forest and returned to the caravan. I quickly printed the pictures and then grabbed my things.

"You still can't drive," Brad grumbled.

"Neither can you unless you'd like to look like a cooked lobster all the time. I got to the school on my last attempt. All I need to do is avoid Larry."

"Perhaps it would be wise to note the movements of the town's only cop."

Brad huffed, shaking his head.

"Don't encourage her."

Giving him a doe-eyed look, Brad shook his head.

"Fine, go. Try not to have an accident, please."

Grabbing the keys, I smiled sweetly at him.

"It's all fine. Third time driving, I'm good for this."

"If Larry turns up, I'm telling him that you did not have permission just so that we're clear."

Waving him off, I skipped down the metal steps and onto the grass. Anzide was beside me, looking happier than I'd ever seen.

"What's going on in that mind?"

"Just appreciating everything."

We got into the car, and Anzide watched everything that I did. I knew what he was up to, learning as always.

I was nervous about driving, still new at it, and still unsure of what to do, but there was little choice at the moment. Brad could not drive me. Anzide didn't know how and it was better that I didn't walk to the school. After my last attempt, I would not make that mistake again.

The drive was slow, I was cautious, and I checked the roads and surroundings constantly. There was traffic but being a small town, it wasn't a lot.

Once I'd pulled into the car park, I turned off the engine and realized how tense I was. My hands were shaking, and my entire body was tight.