Chapter 17

I knew that no matter how hard I tried, I could not avoid Audrey forever. I'd delayed walking into the place and lurked in the shadows. I still got cornered in my little hovel of darkness.

Sighing, I shut my locker and flicked my bag over my shoulder.

Yet again, there was a wall of mean girls blocking the view of the main corridor. They tried to intimidate me, but they had no idea. I've been to schools that were so rough they made this place look like Heaven.

Piercings and tattoos were common, even though they were classed as minors. In my math class, I sat behind a guy with a multi-colored mohawk. Thankfully he always slept in class, so it was never an issue.

There was a definite class system, but it was not based on money or popularity. They'd meet up after school ended and fight. Whoever was still standing after five minutes would climb the ladder.

I was not interested in it but ignoring it completely was not an option. Those who didn't participate always watched. It was the only way to survive in a place that was to blend in with the crowd. Audrey and the cashmere brigade, they'd be cowering in the girl's restroom. They'd harden up or crack.

"You can't change my mind."

"I don't need you to change it. I want you to hand it over. You've got no choice. You must hand it over."

"Says who? I don't recall you being the boss of me or the leader of the vampires. Last time I checked, no one had the right to tell me what to do. Go away and stop harassing me."

"You will regret this. The leader is coming for you."

Defiantly I glared at Audrey. She tried her damnedest to remain strong, but there were hints of how easily she could crumble.

"He is not the leader. Niko was the true leader, and he passed that to me when he died."

"There is a reason that he was put behind that wall. This town will crumble if you return his family line to the rule."

I stepped forward, steeling myself for anything while hoping there would be nothing.

"My family. I am returning my family to the rule. Stop harassing me, and stop sticking your nose into something that doesn't concern you. This has nothing to do with you."

Moving through their imposing wall, I heard Audrey pushing her friends out of the way.

"You're going to destroy this town."

Sick of her constant attempts, I continued down the corridor. The only difference in my previous efforts to ignore her was this time, I lifted my arm and raised my middle finger to her. I smiled when I heard the shock and horror.

"Now, I like a girl who has attitude."

I stopped, lowering my arm to my side.