Chapter 11

Brad was pacing the living room floor. He insisted that we move downstairs because even though the attic was bright and airy, it was still creepy.

Was he angry? No, I think he was more confused than anything.

"So, let me get this straight. They can't kill you because if they do, the rule of this town will pass to your child, the kid that you've not seen in over sixty years."

"Seventy,"

"Yeah, okay. Seventy."

Brad was about to roll his eyes but stopped when I frowned at him. It was not the time for it.

"And because Ryan saw the crack in the wall downstairs, he'll go and tell the vampire that you're breaking free."

"He's already told him. I overheard his daughter telling her friends. Audrey said that the vampire went off his tree about it."

"Which means that he's not happy and will be considering the next move. I anticipate that he will either send someone here to confirm the details or present himself to take me down once and for all. I cannot predict which one as I have not been around him in a long time. The state of his mind could be healthy or could be quite mad."

Brad looked at me and, in particular, the necklace. The arm stretched out as the glare hardened, pointing to the pendant.

"What's that all about?"

"Evelyn and I have formed an agreement that benefits both of us and, in turn, you. She is my familiar, and through her, I can extend the familiar protection to you. If a vampire threatens your life, mention my name, and all issues will fade away."

"You mean the vampires that want you dead."

"Yes, the very same. There is a code that they will adhere to regardless of any issues that they may have with a vampire. It is against our law to attack a familiar."

"And when you're dead?"

"I don't plan on dying, but if the unthinkable happened, then I would suggest that you tighten your laces and run."

I shouldn't have smiled, but I did. I also shouldn't have giggled, but I did that too. Brad frowned at me. I stopped, pursing my lips in a vain attempt to stop laughing.

"So, what else am I missing out on? You pretending you were sick just to get out of school yesterday, the purple-eyed boy, those Nephilim things?"

"I freaked out yesterday and panicked. Today was just as distressing, and I didn't call you."

Brad huffed, not impressed. I thought it was pretty good, considering that I wanted to run all the way back here and not wait for Brad to turn up and scold me.

"The purple-eyed boy is the Nephilim, and we're still trying to figure that out." Niko offered. "They are the product of a fallen angel and a demon breeding. The fact that it has presented itself to Evelyn twice now is an issue."

Brad's eyes widened as he turned and looked at me.

"Have you ever seen this kid or anyone else like him before coming here?"

Giving Brad a grim look, I shook my head. I would have told him if I'd seen anyone with strange eyes. I would definitely tell him that someone had disappeared in front of me if it happened. The only reason I hadn't told him of today's interaction was that I needed to speak with Niko about it.

"Told you we were in Hell."

"We should have stayed in Gainsport."

"Where you are is of no relevance. The Nephilim will always find the person they are looking for. As for the vampire problem, this is just one of many, many towns that we are a part of. In fact, many towns had vampires before they had humans."