The Swan in a Herd

The sharp wind tugged at my hair and dress as I exited the School for Good. How could Tedros not be my True Love after all we had done together? All those moments and feelings. Were they fake? Staged? Thoughts like this raced through my mind as I staggered over the Halfway Bridge with trembling steps. It felt like I was going to collapse at any second. I didn't let myself cry. I never cry. I stopped midway over the bridge. Through my hair, I saw a familiar face come closer.

"Are you ok?" he asked. His soothing voice calmed my beating heart. Hort, thank God. "I'm not Tedros' True Love," I mumbled as I tried to push my soft hair out of my face. "Come with me. I know you'll love this," he suggested as he held out a comforting hand. I nodded as I took his warm hand. This was a familiar feeling, a feeling of peace. Of love.

Hort looked down at my hand as we walked and spotted his ring shining back at him. He smiled as a warm feeling spread through him. Maybe all hope wasn't lost for us.

The place he took me to felt illegal to enter. The School for Evil. As I stepped insite its intimidating doors, I felt the atmosphere change. It was gloomy and unsetteling insite its walls, and it was nothing close to the School for Good. I grabbed Hort's hand tighter. He looked to me with a slight chuckle. "Don't worry, you'll be fine," he comforted in a whisper. 

In front of me, all the Nevers were gathered, dancing as they had done earlier as well. They swayed their hips in sync to the grim music. I had never seen Nevers dressed up before, and this made me realize that Evil can sometimes be.. beautiful. They were all dressed in black with lace and multiple layers of fabric. This was paired with a lot of jewelry. It all fit, in some weird way.

"Come, let's have a dance," Hort enganged. "I'd love to," I smiled back as we slid into the herd of Nevers. I stood out like a black sheep, or.. more like a white sheep, in a swarm of black ones. Hester and Anadil were dancing together, their fingers touching, letting their fingerglows shine as one. Hort let go of my hand, and we started dancing in the same manner as everyone around us. I had never felt so.. right. I belonged, and I was loved. I forgot alla bout Tedros and lost myself in the dance. Now, we started going faster. We began swarming around eachother like Wish Fish. Faster and faster. Like a midsummer dance. 

All of the sudden a firm, yet soft hand placed itself in front of my mouth along with another that was grabbing my waist. Abducting me from the safe-space amongst the Nevers. The unknown abductor led me to a part of the room that was bathing in shadow. I tried let out a muffled scream, but not a single soul heard me over the music.

It finally let go fo my waist, and I was able to turn around to see the face of my captor, but all I saw was a smokey black figure and a pair of glowing red eyes that stared into my very soul. In an awfully quick motion, the cloud wrapped itself around me, and all I could see was darkness.