.12.

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Murdoch Swan smirked as he looked up at Oliva and Yor's enraged expressions. "Now, now, Mrs. Second Wife, don't snap at me just because she loves her real mother more. I'm sure the elder one thinks the same." 

He grinned inside as Yor's expression darkened. 'Oh, I feel so much better.' The Forger girls' rage was doing wonders for his spirits. Olivia clenched her fist and used all of her strength to keep her from punching this man. 

Yor was preoccupied with attempting to console Anya. Olivia's keen stare fell on Loid, who sat in his seat, gripping his trousers tightly. Her eyes widened slightly in recognition. 'Is he restraining himself?'

Her rage towards him subsided a little when she realized what was going on. Nonetheless, she scowled. 'But. What does this dumb mission matter when Anya...Anya is crying?' Her frustration was building up, and the more she heard Anya's heartbreaking wails, the more her eyes burned.

Despite their 'circumstances,' the three of them were happy together. Her eyes were filled with the vivid memories of her mother calling out for her in her final moments. 

~~••~~••~~••~~••~~••~~

"Via! Hurry! Take Anya with you! Quick!" Lola exclaimed as she clutched her injured arm. Her breathing was unsteady, and she had several scratches on her body. Several loud shouts bounced off the building's walls, and it just got closer.

Olivia held baby Anya in her arms, as she whines at the absence of her mother's touch. Olivia's eyes were filled with anxiety as she worriedly gazed at her mother. 

"What about you, mom?" As the 'doctors' yells grew closer, tears welled up in the corners of her eyes. Lola smiled softly and cupped both her and Anya's faces. "I'll simply slow them down. I'll join you when you're far enough, okay?" 

Her smile fades as a man's voice calls to them. Olivia tensed up as she recognized the man as her "father." Her breathing became more rapid, and she drew Anya closer. Lola ushered her daughters forward as soon as she noticed this. 

"Go!"

Olivia took a cautious step back, her gaze fixed on her mother. Lola never glanced away from Olivia as she walked more and more steps away from her, even though her heart pounded in her chest with panic and tears screamed to be let go. Olivia bolted towards the door, finding confidence in her mother's gaze. 

Anya returned her mother's gaze, her small chubby fingers reaching for her. 

"Mama..." 

Olivia's soul was filled with hope as she sprinted closer to the exit, turning back to check whether her mother had caught up, and smiling in relief as she noticed her mother's form running urgently to her. Lola returned her gaze as she ran, tears streaming down her emerald eyes.

"OLIVIA! ANYA! LEAVE QUICKLY! LIVE!" 

Olivia looked bewildered as she processed her mother's words. When she observed the amount of blood on her garments, her eyes widened. She gasped. "No.." Olivia instantly pressed Anya's face against her chest, not wanting her sister to witness her mother in such a state. 

A gunshot rang out just as Olivia rushed forward to meet her mother. Her breath was stuck in her throat, her ears rang, tears streamed down her cheeks, and her body shook. 

Her mother's body filled with gunshot holes as she watched in almost slow motion as she fell. Lola whimpered, collapsing in agony. Her pursuers continued to open fire on her, and she was urgently trying to stay alive. But, alas, life may be cruel at times. She turned to face her girls. 

"I love you..."

Olivia shook her head, afraid of what was to come.

"Protect Anya," 

she said, lifting her hand, focusing her entire soul on the air surrounding them, until suddenly a gust of wind exploded from her palms, propelling Olivia and Anya out of the facility a safe distance away. She instantly placed her hands on the ground, building a wall of boulders that blocked everyone from the exit. 

Lola smiled, knowing her girls were safe for the time being, and looked up to her husband one last time before death greeted her.

~~••~~••~~••~~••~~••~~

Olivia was jolted out of her daze by a loud bang. She let out a gasp as she noticed the table was broken, Loid's bloody fist slowly lifting from it. She stood there watching while he blamed it on a mosquito that happened to be there. 

Loid stood tall, motioning for her to get Anya. She pulled Anya into her arms without hesitation, hugging her close and stroking her hair to soothe her. "Thank you very much for your time today." Murdoch Swan, having recovered from his shock, looked at Loid with rage. "Where are you going?! The interview is not yet over!" 

Loid gently guided Olivia to the door with a hand on her back, Yor close after. "If making light of a child's feelings is part of your establishment's educational policies, then I'm afraid we have chosen the wrong school."

Swan, enraged, sprang to his feet. "You fiend! You dare to insult our illustrious institution?!" Loid led his three girls out, ignoring the man. "Come now, you three."

────┈┈┈┄┄╌╌╌╌┄┄┈┈┈────

The drive back to the Forger house was quiet. Everyone was depressed and disappointed. Anya's faint sniffle was all that could be heard as she clung to Olivia. Yor sat quietly, trying to think of anything to say to lighten the situation. Olivia stayed silent, her recollection bothering her. And Loid drove in solitude, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the steering wheel, his thoughts replaying images of Anya crying, Olivia's rage, and Olivia's sad expression as a single tear fell from her eyes. He noticed how she didn't recognize she was crying since she was lost in her daydream. 

His blue eyes reflected in the mirror as he watched the sisters sleep peacefully. He returned his gaze to the road, frowning. 'Yeah... We definitely failed.'

________

[EDITED]

[OBVIOUSLY WE KNOW NOTHING OF ANYA'S MOTHER- OR FATHER FOR THAT MATTER SO]

[ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH THEIR MOTHER IN THIS STORY- INCLUDING HER NAME]

[IS MADE UP BY ME. IF IT SO HAPPENDS THAT THERE IS, OR WILL BE INFO ON ANYA'S PARENTS]

[THAT CONTRADICTS WHAT I'VE WRITTEN. I DON'T CARE, IGNORE IT.]