Chapter 17

"You want to see them, sir?" Rex and I walked them up to meet Krell.

"Indeed. It seems they have accomplished a very brave act. Unfortunately, they've also committed a serious crime by directly disobeying my order." Krell turned to face us after looking out the window to where the ships landed back on the base.

"With all due respect, sir, the order to attack the cargo vessel was mine." I stepped forward, taking the blame. "If there's a punishment to be given, it should be directed toward me."

"Taking the blame as always" Nadir mocked.

"I'm their commanding officer." Rex stepped up as well. "I should be given the blame."

"General, sir, General Jayko and Captain Rex are attempting to take the blame for actions that were clearly mine." Fives stepped up instead.

"Fives!" Rex warned with a scold.

"I request that his admission of guilt be denied and full blame placed upon me." Fives finished.

"Fives!" I scolded the trooper this time.

"Why bother, you know you can't save him. Nobody believes in you, you're just a little girl fighting a war that's too big for her"

"Oh, do you? You willfully countermand my direct order, and now you have the audacity to request who should bear the punishment of your insurrection?" Krell poked Fives roughly in the chest this time. "Let me be clear about the punishment for the treason committed by ARC trooper 5555, and CT-5597. They will be court-martialed, they will be found guilty. And they will be executed!" Krell got close to both mine and Rex's faces.

They will be executed.

"Line up the prisoners." Dogma took charge as a line of troopers was formed outside for the execution squad.

"Well, I've officially lost my sense of humor." Jesse commented as we walked them out onto the base. I looked up to the tower to find Krell watching from his spot in the window. Fives and Jesse were placed in front of a wall, no armour on top to protect them.

"Will the prisoners request to be blindfolded?" Dogma stepped forward as if he was taunting them. "I'll take that as a no." He was met with stern faces.

"I hope you can live with yourself, Dogma." Fives growled at his brother harshly, feeling betrayed.

"Are you able to live with yourself, Child?" Nadir turned the question to me as I stayed stern, taking in what little comfort I could by being at Rex's side, even if I knew he wasn't really there.

"Ready weapons." Dogma ordered as Rex and I took our places beside him. The clones followed their orders from Dogma, raising their blasters.

"Never thought we'd go out this way." Jesse commented.

"Aim." Dogma continued as Rex closed his eyes and I placed a hand on his shoulder for comfort.

"Wait!" Fives stopped everyone from continuing. "This is wrong and we all know it! The general is making a mistake, and he needs to be called on it. No clone should have to go out this way! We're loyal soldiers! We follow orders, but we are not a bunch of unthinking droids! We are men! We must be trusted to make the right decisions Especially when the orders we are given are wrong!" Fives gave his final speech to his brothers as Rex and I looked up to meet his eyes one last time.

"Fire!" Dogma demanded. Gunshots went off but when we all looked up again they had all missed. Jesse and Fives stood in a position of flinching from the blaster shots firing around them. I let out the breath I had been holding in and looked to Rex in shock at what happened.