BEFRIENDING THE SCORPION

Juliette found herself in the hospital wing in the middle of the night when she woke up. Her whole body was store but not sore enough to keep her from moving. She'd been in worse situations, she knew. But she suddenly ceased to move when she heard the double doors of the hospital wing silently creaked open and a weak light penetrated her curtains.

She froze as two silhouettes came in, talking in hushed voices. But not hushed enough, apparently. Juliette could hear every word they were saying. She would have been groping for her dagger too if she didn't recognize the two voices as the school nurse and the headmistress.

"...horrible, Minerva." Madam Pomfrey was saying in a slightly trembling voice. "I've never seen anything like that in a person's body, before, and especially not from someone his age. Scars, so many scars."

The two stopped in front of Juliette's bed and one of them put a reassuring hand on the shoulder of the other.

"It's alright, Poppy." Professor McGonagall said gently. "Just tell me what you saw that troubled you."

Juliette heard Madam Pomfrey huff. "I'm not that troubled by it, Minerva." She answered in an agitated tone. "I've seen many casualties in a person's body before. And many in worse cases, too, but that many scars on someone his age...it's not normal. Claw marks, slash marks, burned skin...it's not right. They're healed, yes, but it's seemed like he'd been through so much in such a short time. It's unnerving."

Juliette was wondering who they were talking about when Madam Pomfrey talked again.

"And it's not just him. It's on the girl too"

"Juliette Torrington?" Professor McGonagall said in a surprised tone.

Juliette tensed at the sound of her name.

"Yes," She answered. "Not as much, but it had the same variety. And one..." The elderly woman took a deep breath. "There was one, Minerva, one long, three-fingered claw mark running from her collarbone to the middle of her chest."

She started to move, then, feeling at the scar that the school nurse was talking about.

It was there, alright, real as day. It was a long time ago when she got that scar and no one knew about it but herself. Not even Alabaster. The story of how she got it was something she didn't want to share to anyone, but she could remember how she got it. When Madam Pomfrey mentioned it, it was as if she was getting a flashback again to the time when she got it. She had to make sure the wound was closed and there wasn't a waterfall of blood coming out of it.

There wasn't, but moving was her mistake. Her bed creaked and the two in front of her bed froze. Juliette silently swore to herself as the two rapidly spoke in more audible tones. She positioned herself in a sleeping position just as Madam Pomfrey came in and forced a tasteless potion down her throat that suddenly made her feel drowsy.

"It's not nice to eavesdrop, you know." The school nurse whispered to her ear just before she slipped into unconsciousness.

The next time she woke up, it was somewhere around noon. Bright, golden light was falling on her bed. It was the only thing that indicated noon. She glanced around, slightly hoping to see either Albus or Rose sitting by her bedside. What she saw, though, was something she didn't expect.

A certain dark-haired boy was sitting on one of the chairs beside her bed. It must have been the weekend too since he wasn't wearing the usual Hogwarts uniform. Instead, he was wearing almost the same outfit he was wearing when Juliette saw him first on the train. A black shirt underneath his aviator jacket and black slacks with a chain belt. He was anxiously fingering his skull ring that he was turning over and over in his palm as he eyed the white-ness of the whole room.