THE AMBASSADORS OF OLYMPUS

Percy was worried.

He knew Hecate already reassured them two months ago that Nico di Angelo was fine and that he was sent to a boarding school. He also knew that no matter that his little cousin could take care of himself. He'd gotten more skilled in the last four years and had been, if possible, pushing himself harder since he almost FADED into the shadows after shadow traveling the Athena Parthenos. He'd been spending large amounts of time either in the arena, in the woods, in the Underworld or who-knows-where where Percy knew he'd been trying to hone his powers.

Nico had grown. A lot more than the son of Hades looked to admit. He's as powerful as Percy now. Maybe even more. He'd been keeping a lot of secrets lately, but he still was Percy's younger cousin and Percy felt responsible for him.

He didn't care what the oh-so-powerful goddess of magic said, something fishy was going on and he knew his cousin was pulled into it. The sad thing was, he couldn't do anything about it except whine to Annabeth all day about his guts telling him that's something's wrong. He didn't want to include her into his paranoia, but he needed someone to talk to...and she always knew it when something was bothering him.

He felt a hand touch his shoulder as he stared intensely at Long Island Sound and he jumped up, startled, making the water lap up towards him violently in response to his surprise.

"Calm down there, Seaweed Brain." Annabeth said laughing. She sat down next to him on the sand. "I'm not going to kill you anytime soon."

He smiled at her. "Sorry." He said, rubbing his head. "You just surprised me."

All at once, Annabeth frowned at him. "You were thinking." She said like it was weirdest thing in the world.

"Annie, do you really think I would be able to stay alive all these years without thinking once?" He said with a lopsided grin in an attempt to lighten up her mood as he kissed her deeply. "Of course, I was thinking." He whispered once he finally pulled away.

She giggled at that and lightly slapped his chest.

They were both silent for a while as they just sat there staring at the lake and the Nereids at the bottom and the late afternoon whispering nothings to each other every once in a while.

Percy loved it when that happens. It was like he's in a trance. It always happened when he was with her. His brain would shut down completely and he'd just...do. He loved Annabeth. She was a perfectly flawed perfection. She could take his mind off troubling problems without even trying...until it comes back all on its own, that is. He tried not to show his frown when his earlier thoughts came rushing back.

Suddenly, the blonde beside him moved and pecked him softly on the lips. "You're tense, Percy." She whispered in a concerned tone.

He looked at her. She didn't say Seaweed Brain or Kelp Head. She called him Percy. That was enough to let him know that she was serious. He glanced into her stormy-grey eyes.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

Annabeth shook her head. "You're a really bad liar, you know that?" She said. "You're thinking about Nico again aren't you?"

Percy shook himself from her gaze. "Yeah." He finally admitted after a while. "I'm worried about him, Annabeth. I know what Hecate said but I can't help but think that she's not telling us the whole truth."

"Not to make you any more worse," She answered, shifting a bit and pulling her knees to her chest. "But I don't think she did, either. She's a goddess. The way she said that kind of information was both to vague and too straightforward at the same time. I KNOW there's something hidden behind it."