Claire

Vikram helped Claire load her overnight bag into the smaller of the family's two cars.

"I don't understand why you won't let us all come with you," he said again.

Claire rolled her eyes. "Today I'll have a ton to clean and organize and tomorrow I need to take Anita up to Richmond. I don't have time for you people."

"Your children and husband?" Vikram clarified, handing Claire the car keys.

"Exactly. I've got enough to do without all of you," Claire stuffed the keys into her pocket.

"Can you not lose them this time?" Vikram asked, pointing to her pocket.

Claire snorted. "I didn't lose the keys the last time! It turned out that they were in the car. Remember?"

"Yes, but we still spent two hours tearing the house apart and were late for lunch with my mother..." Vikram said, mostly to himself. He still wasn't entirely sure that Claire hadn't staged the whole incident, but it felt safer to avoid any related accusations.

"Where's my purse?" Claire shoved her head into the driver's seat to search, her bottom sticking straight out behind her.

Vikram considered giving Claire's round bum a smack, like in the old days.

"Oh, you'll need this! Ben still has accidents." Claire tossed a diaper bag at Vikram's feet without turning around.

"Do you ever wonder where the romance has gone?" Vikram asked, idly undoing the top button of his flannel shirt.

Claire's less-than-polite reply was muffled by the car, which was lucky because little Ben had toddled up behind his parents.

Ben, naked from the waist up and his face smeared with snot as well as something pink and sticky, picked his nose as he watched his mom paw through the tiny Honda.

"Hey, buddy. What have you been up to?" Vikram asked his youngest, giving Ben a friendly pat on his head.

Ben glared at his father. "Leave me 'lone. Mommy, I'm messy!" He pulled his finger out of his nose to pat his mother's rear.

Claire pulled her head out of the car and surveyed her son. She licked her hand and swiped at Ben's cheeks. To her husband, she said with a sniff, "Plus, Vikram, it's my dad's house, so he'll be there!"

"Your dad isn't that bad," Vikram said diplomatically.

Claire gave up trying to free Ben's face of mucus. "He hates me."

"He doesn't hate you..." Vikram said carefully.

"He lets the kids watch war movies on TV with him. He mispronounces your name...You and the kids are better off driving up Monday, just for the funeral." Claire stood up.

Ben's eyes grew wide. "Mommy, where you go? I go wit you! Doan leave me alone, Mommy! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU!" Ben threw himself against his mother and held on for dear life.

Claire detached Ben from her leg. "Where's the hammer?"

Vikram picked up Ben to cuddle him. Ben immediately kicked his father in the stomach. "Mommy! I love Mommy! You stupid! MOMMEEEEEE!"

Vikram wrestled unsuccessfully with Ben. "Oof. Okay, Claire, if that's what you want. The hammer is probably where you left it the last time. I don't really use the tools."

Claire disappeared into the garage.

"And it's true your grandpa is not my biggest fan," Vikram said to Ben as he tried to grab Ben's legs and hold them still.