Mary and Martha

"Oh, yes, you know my daughter?" The pastor pulled the adolescent blonde girl to his side for an affectionate, fatherly squeeze.

Inez, mouth open, stared at Amy.

"Oh Dad!" Amy rolled her eyes at her father. She didn't bother to acknowledge anyone else.

Pastor Bennet slapped his forehead and pointed at Inez. "Wait, of course YOU know her! Amy's your volunteer coordinator! Sorry, your 'volunteer' volunteer coordinator. We should talk about that! Amy! Look who's blessed our service this Sunday!" He nodded in Inez's direction.

Amy froze before she turned slowly to study Inez.

Inez stared back at Amy.

Pastor Bennet continued, his grin widening, "I mean Amy's been coming in so often, maybe you just hire her already!"

Amy gasped in obvious horror, "NO!"

"No?" Inez dumbly echoed Amy.

Tamra and Claire looked confusedly between Amy and Inez.

Darius, glued to his phone, continued to ignore everyone.

Amy's father shook his head at his daughter. "Amy, look at you - you're red with embarrassment and all I suggested was that you get a salary for all the work you do! C'mon Amy—even a faith-based organization needs to recognize the value of its hardest workers! Am I right?" He appealed to Inez.

"Yes?" Inez hazarded.

Brow furrowed, Claire chewed her cheek and muttered, "Amy Bennet, Amy, Amy Bennet? How do I know—hey, she's your missing person, right Inez!?" Claire snapped her fingers.

Tamra drew in a sharp breath. "The ghost!"

Claire frowned and growled at the Pastor, "Listen, your sweet little girl here never—"

"Never misses a day," Inez interrupted, elbowing Claire.

"Ow! You're crazy, Inez!" Claire rubbed her side.

Amy regarded Inez in befuddlement.

Beside Inez, Tamra caught Amy's eyes before baring her teeth in a too-sweet smile.

Tamra observed tightly, "You never miss a day, huh, Amy?"

Amy paled.

"Never," Pastor Bennet glowed with pride.

"Never, Inez?" Tamra repeated skeptically. She waggled her eyebrows at Inez. "Really? Never?"

Inez cleared her throat, her eyes still on Amy. "Um..."

At that moment, Darius actually glanced up. When he saw Amy, he became alarmed.

"You look sick," Darius informed Amy. Protectively, he covered his phone. "Are you gonna throw up?"

"No...I'm fine. I'm...I volunteer with Inez at...um...the Faith...Barn?" Amy was shrill.

"Brigade," Tamra corrected.

Amy started. "Sorry?"

"Inez works at the Faith Brigade," Tamra repeated in a flat voice.

"Yes, the, er, the Faith Brigade," Amy's voice went up another octave.

There was a moment of silence.

"Whatever," Darius returned to his phone.

Pastor Bennet's smile seemed uncertain. "Am I missing something...Amy?"