Church

In the parking lot, the three women and Darius climbed out of Inez's car.

"Okay, let's go - I like to chat before service...that way, across the street..." Anita hustled everyone along like a tiny terrier, flapping her arms at them.

"Anita, you're so pushy!" Claire complained.

Anita avoided looking at her sister-in-law - she'd been studiously ignoring Claire since they'd left the house.

It was driving Claire crazy.

"I mean, really!" Claire nudged Inez, who smiled and shook her head.

Tamra used Darius's belt loops to steer him down the sidewalk so he wouldn't be compelled to look up from his mobile phone.

"Darius, about university..." Tamra began, thinking of her morning conversation with Micah.

"No," Darius bent low over his phone.

Tamra pulled Darius to the left to avoid a flower bed before she continued, "Look, Darius, university can be an opportunity to meet new people, like-minded people and to build a community of life-long friends— watch out for the dog doo!"

"Don't need friends. Have enough," Darius was curt.

Tamra jerked him to a stop as they waited for the crosswalk light to turn green. "Well, what about a career, Darius? A job? University jobs usually pay more."

"Really? What's a middle school history teacher make these days?" Claire smirked at Tamra.

Tamra raised her eyebrows. "At least I get paid, Claire. Do you?"

Claire scowled, then sighed. "Yeah...yeah...I'm a free maid, a free babysitter....Marry rich, Darius...Marry rich..." Claire thought for a moment. "Rich and old."

"A paycheck does not indicate one's value to society. Let's cross," Inez observed as the light turned green.

"Communist," Claire muttered.

"University is...well, it's an opportunity to grow as a person - watch out!" Tamra jerked Darius to the side to avoid a telephone pole.

Startled, Darius almost dropped his phone."How dare you, Aunty Tamra! It's old and fragile!" He clutched the phone to his chest.

"Just a moment, girls. And Darius." Anita paused to take a small hand mirror out of her purse and reapply her lipstick.

Claire sourly examined her sister-in-law's face. "What's that, Anita? Vulva pink?"

Anita pretended not to hear Claire.

"I wanna drink," Claire grumbled.

Anita finished refreshing her lips and dropped her mirror and lipstick back into her purse. "That's better. Darius, Tamra's right about the job thing. I mean, aside from your dad....what does Liam do again?"

"Education, he's in higher education. And he's poor," Claire grinned at Tamra.

Anita frowned. "Aside from your dad, Darius, everyone I know who makes good money has a university degree. Look at your Uncle JJ and your Uncle Vikram. Both own their own business, and both went to university."

"Vikram actually never finished his degree," Claire said.

"What? Vikram's not a college graduate?" Anita was surprised enough to respond.

"Too expensive?" Darius gave Tamra a pointed look.

"No, Vikram had to drop out when his...um...start-up...came to the attention of the university authorities. But he never told his mom. She thinks he finished," Claire explained.