Inez

Tamra stuck her tongue out at Claire. "None of your business."

Claire stuck her tongue out at Tamra. "I'm not letting this go."

Tamra tossed her head. "Your choice."

Inez, her hair slightly mussed, skittered towards them both on her kitten heels. "Tamra! Claire! No fighting, please! You're family after all!"

Tamra rolled her eyes. "That's not my fault."

"Not our fault," Claire corrected her.

Tamra glanced at Inez. "What's up with your hair?"

Claire examined Inez with irritation, "And where's Andersen? I thought you both were working on something in the back? Did he run off and leave you to do everything? Typical! That lazy little brat! We should steal his peg leg, and his car, and make him hop home! Look, I already stole his keys!" Claire fished a set of car keys out of her pocket. "I snatched them when he was helping you rearrange those arm chairs!"

Inez smoothed her hair, her cheeks bright pink. "No, Claire. Andersen's still here, er, in the back. Still. He's still in the back. He's...he's finishing up. I came out to - to see how you two were doing." Inez coughed nervously.

Tamra arched one eyebrow at her housemate. "Smooth, Inez."

"Oh shush," Inez waved at Tamra.

Claire looked back and forth at Tamra and Inez, suspicious. "What?"

Tamra wafted her hands at Claire. "Never you mind, sweetie. It's a housemate thing."

"Tamra! Don't exclude Claire like that!" Inez remonstrated.

Tamra gave Inez a wounded look. "Me exclude Claire? Never."

Inez belatedly realized her mistake and turned guiltily to Claire. "Oh...Claire, it's nothing. Tamra and I are thinking...about getting a dog. Or a Roomba."

"Maybe both!" Tamra said excitedly.

"Or neither," Inez was becoming annoyed.

"I want a Roomba...but Vikram says the kids' stupid toys would probably break it." Claire said.

Inez gave Tamra a firm frown, her lips pressed together.

"And I suppose we can't throw out all their toys..." Claire mused.

Tamra smiled back innocently at Inez.

Claire continued, mostly to herself. "Once I picked up everything those kids left on the living room carpet and tossed it all into this huge trash bag! I've never seen so many tears, but I warned them! I said I'd throw EVERYTHING away if they didn't pick up! That was a nice weekend..."

Inez took a deep breath to calm herself. Tamra could make all the innuendoes she wanted - for the moment, Claire seemed oblivious to Andersen and Inez's affectionate looks and caresses.

"Of course Vikram went all soft and rescued everything before the garbage truck came...talking about how it was mean and overkill and expensive and not environmentally friendly...Vikram is such a nerd..." Claire grumbled, pocketing Andersen's keys again.

Yes, Claire was oblivious. A fact which both relieved and scared Inez.

Tucking a few more stray hair strands behind her ears, Inez nodded at Tamra and then at Claire. "It's very nice of ya'll all to volunteer today. Shows good citizenship."

"Beats my dad's," Claire shrugged.

"Andersen's my ride," Tamra said at the same time.

Inez sighed. "All the same, it's nice to have you here. We can always use some help."