Inez

Anita answered the O'Malley front door with a big smile.

"Oh, thank heavens, Inez. You're early," Anita, dressed demurely in a frothy pink dress and kitten heels, waved Inez and Tamra into the front hall.

"Hi, Anita, how are you?" Inez bent to give Anita a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm wonderful, blessed, thanks. Inez! You look lovely in that color. And your figure! I'm so envious! And Tamra......um...well, that's very conservative..." Anita pursed her lips as she surveyed Tamra.

"That's what I was going for," Tamra patted her corduroys.

"What's this...white powder?" Anita inspected the long waist of Tamra's sweater.

Tamra used a finger to wipe her pullover and lick the offending dust. "Chalk. Where's Darius?"

Anita nodded seriously. "Good question! We've got to find him and Claire."

Tamra and Inez followed Anita through the sitting room and up the stairs.

"The boys went bowling with some of Andersen's...friends...last night. Stayed out late. You should have seen what Darius thought he was going to wear to church today, but I set him straight. I told him this was not DC....Darius! DAR-ius! Dar-IUS! DARIUS!" Anita's voice climbed with each repetition of her nephew's name.

"I'm gettin' dressed like you told me to, Aunty!" Darius shouted back from an unknown location.

"Are you wearing the sweater I put out? Are you? Darius!" Anita yelled as she reached the second floor hall.

"NO! Too small!" Darius was obviously annoyed.

"Oh, Darius! Just wear something appropriate, please! CLAIRE!" Anita cupped her mouth and hollered, startling Tamra who almost fell back down the stairs.

"Jesus, for such a tiny person..." Tamra muttered, looking askance at Anita.

"Where's Mr. O'Malley?" Inez spoke in a low voice, hoping to encourage others to do the same.

"Late sleeper. CLAIRE! Where are YOU? You still in there?" Anita struggled to open a door that appeared to be locked from the inside.

"I'm BATHING! PRIVACY PLEASE!" Claire's voice was unmuted by the barrier between them.

Sighing, Anita pulled a hairpin out of her perfectly smooth black bun and jammed it into the center of the door knob. "I don't know why she's always locking doors..."

"Nosy in-laws are CHILDREN!" Claire declared as Anita ushered Tamra and Claire into the bathroom.

Anita put a hand to her forehead. "Claire..."

There was a moment of silence.

"Comfortable?" Inez asked Claire dryly.

Claire sat in the steaming tub, her presumably naked body hidden under a thick layer of pink bubbles. An open, still full bottle of wine, a Nalgene bottle, and a half-eaten slice of melting chocolate cake sat on the floor between her bath and a chair holding an open computer that streamed a show featuring a crying blonde lady.

Anita shrieked. "Claire! You're not ready!? We have to leave in FIVE minutes! And your hair is WET!"

"I guess I'll have to stay home," Claire shrugged.

"Claire, you promised!" Anita put her fists on her hips.

Claire frowned at Tamra. "Why're you here?"

"Family obligation. Not my fault," Tamra sighed.

"Not mine either," Claire grumped.

"Claire! You're worse than Darius! How are we supposed to be on time...is that wine for the WAKE? Between your brothers and you, I'm going to have to go shopping AGAIN!" Anita's voice shot up another octave.