Tamra

Micah sighed heavily. "That's a lot. I'm really sorry."

Tamra wiped her eyes again. "Thanks....I'm sorry too. Some first date. You know more about my insides than my outsides."

Micah chuckled. "You know what? I prefer it."

Tamra snorted.

Micah held up his hands. "No sexual pun intended. I like that...instead of trying to present who you want the other person to think you are, you just went for who you are right now. Saves a lot of trouble, if you think about it."

Tamra gave him a watery smile. "You're nice. I feel like I'm...a little crazy these days."

Micah shook his head. "Don't say that. 'The worst thing to call somebody is crazy. It's dismissive.' "

Tamra tried to place the quote, but couldn't.

"Dave Chapelle," Micah looked uncertain.

Tamra nodded. "I like him. Most of the time he makes a good point."

Micah nodded, obviously relieved. He then asked hesitantly. "Tamra...do you even want kids? I don't mean to pry, but you don't seem to be that into them from the....discussion...we've been having. You seem undecided, at best."

Tamra laughed. "Your lawyer senses tingling?"

Micah smiled. "I mean, medical issues aside, lots of people these days are fine without kids. Many find that they prefer it. Is this debate you're having internally or externally motivated?"

Tamra thought as she munched her salad. She swallowed. "You know...I'm not even sure I want a relationship."

Micah glanced down at his own food. "Oh..."

Tamra reached across the table and waved her hand in front of his face.

When he looked up, she explained, "No offense, Micah. You're great, really. It's just that...well, like you said, I don't know how much of this...inner turmoil, I guess you could say? How much of this inner turmoil is coming from me and how much is coming from the world around me. A relationship might just complicate things more. And be really unfair to the other person." Tamra gave him a significant look.

Now it was Micah's turn to nod thoughtfully. "I get that. You make a good point..."

Micah stroked his chin quietly as Tamra finished her salad - a dry, sauceless salad because it wasn't clear what went into the sauce, and Tamra was scared of inciting yet another painful episode in her lower body.

Finally, Micah asked, "Tamra, why don't you talk to your older sister? You said she has a kid already and she's a nurse —"

"Nurse practitioner, actually," Tamra interrupted proudly.

"Which means she's familiar with you, the child dilemma, and the disease," Micah finished. "She seems a logical source of useful information and reflection."

For the first time, Tamra looked truly uncomfortable. "Adrianne and I...we don't have that sort of relationship."

"What do you mean?" Micah asked.

"Well..." Tamra bit her lip. "You play video games right?"

Micah blushed. "Too often."

Tamra grinned. "You're in good company. You know Final Fantasy?"

Micah nodded.

Tamra continued. "You know Final Fantasy ten and the lightning storm?"

Micah's face broke into a genuine smile. "So well."