Chapter 7

JK thought that he would not be able to sleep in this strange, unknown, foreign place, but he was wrong. He was completely knocked out due to the exhaustion. He never realised when his eyes closed and when he fell asleep. He had definitely not slept this good in years. With all the luxury in his palace, he still had things running in his mind that kept him from sleeping peacefully but here, he slept soundly even on the bare floor with no proper bed, blanket, air conditioner. It was a surprising fact.

JK woke up to some delicate noises in the house. After blinking, he slowly opened his eyes and focused his vision towards the person in the room. The person noticed that he was awake and turned towards him. "Ohhh you are up early. You should have slept a little more. That way father would have found you and you would have got beaten up. Ahhh!! That would have been such a great sight. Unlucky me.. Anyways, here's your breakfast. Eat it soon and follow me". Saying this, Shera gestured towards the food kept on a wooden plate. As she was making her way out of the hut, she was stopped by her father. JK stiffened on seeing the Chieftain. His aura was very intimidating.

"Shera, inform everyone to attend the tribal meeting in sometime". "Yes, father". Shera replied and continued walking towards the door. Before exiting, she turned back. Standing just behind her father and facing JK, she used her finger to tell him to eat the food soon and later follow her. JK nodded his head once and now his eyes met with that of the Chieftain's. JK immediately broke the eye contact and bent his head a little down. To be honest, he was really scared.

Chieftain moved towards the place where the food was kept and took his share in the plate. He turned his head to the side just so he could see JK through his peripheral vision and said, "Since it is your first day, I'm letting it go but know that you have to wake up when the sun rises. And, you are also attending the meeting today. Without fail".

Involuntarily, a chill ran down JK's spine. The last time this sensation happened was when he saw his father in the royal court addressing his ministers and subjects. Respect for Chieftain was starting to build. With that said the Chieftain walked out with his food. JK slowly stood up and walked towards his food. He gave up on the thought of brushing his teeth and hesitatingly finished his food.

"I had other plans but they'll have to wait till the meeting is over". Shera spoke, walking alongside JK. They both reached the meeting place. It was below a huge tree. There was a big rock placed opposite the trunk signifying the throne of Chieftain. People started to gather. JK noticed that there were everyone. Men, women, elderly, kids. Totally around 70 people had gathered. That was the whole population of the tribe. JK was surprised seeing this. His palace had more servants. He was astound by this new world, his temporary abode.

Chieftain entered with two men on his side. Everybody sat down in a lunge position, bending their head as a greeting for the Chieftain. JK followed the people. Chieftain took his seat and everyone rose to stand straight.

"There are only two things to address. First, everyone are aware of the new boy who has joined us yesterday. After a lot of persuasion from Shera, I have decided to let the boy stay in our tribe. You all can take him to help in your works and let me know if there is any problem". Shifting his gaze towards JK the Chieftain spoke, "Boy, don't think that now that you have entered our tribe it's over. All eyes are on you. One wrong move and that will be your last day on Earth". JK looked around. Every eyes were on him. His eyes met Shera. She raised her eyebrows and eyes suggestively telling him to agree. "Yes, Chieftain", JK replied and he heard a small sqeaul from Shera and saw her clapping her hands in tiny.

Chieftain continued. "Second, you all are aware that full moon is a week away. Get started with the preparations for the annual ritual and feast. There shouldn't be any flaws". Everybody agreed. There was excitement in the air. Everyone hailed the Chieftain and immediately got to work. JK followed Shera.

"What is this annual ritual?", JK asked Shera. "Ohh, that's the yearly offering we do to our Goddess in order to thank her for the things that happened that year and to seek her blessings for the things that will happen in the coming year. We celebrate it on an auspicious full moon day. Father and uncles decide the day. We follow his orders and make the preparations", Shera replied.

Shera took JK to the lake that she mentioned the previous day. It was a serene place. Quite large lake, but shallow with clear water, tiny fishes swimming swiftly and few lotuses scattered. Surrounded by trees, the lake was a beautiful sight.

"Take your show, what was that

"Take your show, what was that...shower, yes. I'll be back in sometime. Here's your new clothes", Shera handed him the new set of clothes and walked away. JK slowly and carefully stepped into the lake. He could kill for a hot shower but he had to make peace with the icy water. He was happy with the fact that he had some time alone.

JK got into deep thinking. Though he was the Prince and King of a province, he was raised tough. He never took his life for granted. Unfortunately, he had to take huge responsibilities at a young age but he never backed out. So, even if all this is new to him, he will never think of giving up. He will bravely face the challenges. Also, during his reign, he would disguise himself as commoner and live among the people for days together, to understand their hardships. So now, he can use those skills here and survive for sometime and maybe later he can come up with something. In the end, he came with the conclusion of blending in and surviving.

After a good bath, JK came out and tried his new dress. It fit perfectly and he looked just like any other tribal man with his rugged handsomeness.
Just then Shera arrived with something in her hands. She gestured JK to sit under a nearby tree and he followed. Shera started drawing different patterns on his legs, hands and face. JK intently observed her features.

Back in Zodia, he was an eligible bachelor. Lots of women pursued him, proposed to him but he was always indifferent towards them. His focus was only towards the well being of his country and his people. He always refused to answer the questions of his ministers or the badgering of the head maid and Mr. Lee regarding this topic. He believed that if something had to happen, it will happen at it's own time. Rather than him following, things will fall in place at the right time and he will wait for it.

Shera was not like the women he has seen in his province but she was beautiful in her own way. Long, dark black curly locks, the flower headband that adorned her crown. Perfectly shaped eyebrows, long lashes, hazel eyes, honey and glossy tone, long neck, slight muscular body that came as a result of surviving in the wilderness and those beautiful drawings all over her body that just enhanced her charm. Even without any makeup and minimum accessories, she was gorgeous.

He was not so sure whether now was that time but something about this women attracted him, he couldn't put a finger on it. For now, he was a little grateful to her for saving his life but he was also angry about the way he's being treated by her. And that anger increased even more when she poked his nose with the stick she used to paint his face, in order to bring him out his thoughts. She laughed when he rubbed his nose to ease the pain. "Let's get back. I'll introduce you to everyone and later we have to get to work", Shera walked back to the tribe with JK following her.

Shera introduced JK to everyone. Honestly, it was hard for him to remember all the names right now but he thought eventually he'll know it. People were skeptical and judging him but they believed in Shera and the Chieftain. After the introduction, Shera and JK came back to their hut. "Ok, now your test begins. Let's see how well you'll perform. This will decide your life in the tribe", Shera walked towards JK. Handing him a bow and a quiver full of beautiful arrows, she patted his back and spoke,  "It's hunting time".....