Chpater 16

Things were back to normal in the island. Everyone were back to their usual simple island life. It's not like they never spoke about him but he didn't take up all of the time in their life, except for one person.

Shera was trying really hard to behave normal but it was getting more and more difficult. She was not as chirpy as before. She became a little silent and would go missing for hours together. People thought it maybe because she saw someone from outside the island for the first time but they all knew that she got attached to him and she needed time. Her father was quite concerned about her but didn't pressurize her to let go of her feelings. He wanted her to come back on her own. He feared that if anything goes wrong she might turn rebellious and he could never lose her.

Even Shera was befuddled because of her behaviour. She never felt this way before. Is this because he was a guy?? No, she had many guy friends in her tribe. Maybe she didn't feel that way with her other friends because she had known them from when they were young and for a long time. Possible. Is it because he was a stranger, a person from outside the island?? Then she should stay away from him and be happy that he left before any damage happened rather than feeling sad about him leaving and having all this disoriented thoughts in her mind.

Then what was it?? Why had it become an unanswerable question?? Was it really that difficult to crack it?? Or was it the fact that she knew the answer to it but didn't have the courage to accept it??

Shera decided to bring some change into her lifestyle, a classic move but always effective. It was a new feeling, yes, and she was sure that she'll get rid of it soon. She had to make changes even though it's hard. She had to stop coming to the ocean shore every day in the evening, sitting alone, drowning in his thoughts. She had to go back to her life before she met him. It's gonna be easy and everything will be alright, she thought. She made up her mind to slowly forget him...but things will never go as we expect them to.

It's been fifteen days and the progress is really good, better than expected. Shera was slowly being her older self with everyone and everyone were happy with that. Her father was relieved but didn't make it obvious just like rest of them. It was going good but there will always be a setback.

Of all these days, not sure why, Shera was missing him a lot today.  It was any other normal day. She had woken up on her usual time, went through her routine work but today she was unexpectedly moody. She didn't feel like going to the forest, she didn't feel like teaching archery to kids, she didn't feel like helping the women with their requests, she didn't feel like following her father around like she always does when she is bored. Nothing.  She didn't wanted to do any of it. People just let her be like that for today. They tried to understand her point of view and didn't pry. She is the darling of this island, their darling and will always be. All they want is her happiness and well being and they will do anything for that.

Even Shera was surprised with these longing feelings in her heart today. She was doing really great till now then why? Maybe it is because she was deliberately trying to suppress her rising feelings towards him lately and feelings are something that is not in our control. All this forced suppression resulted in their unpredictable explosion. Every little thing reminded her of him, of those short yet lovely moments spent together, making her feel suffocated by the stinging pain in her chest. What is it? Why is it like this? He is just another guy like my friends in the island? Then what is so special about him that I remember him so often, I miss him so bad? What is this connection? What is this feeling?

Not able to handle it anymore, Shera collected her bow and the quiver with arrows and ran out of her hut. After a good run around the island she stopped on the ocean shore, "their regular spot", to stabilize her breathing and racing hearts.

It was early in the afternoon. Sun was directly above the head, beaming to the brightest in the sky. With all the running and the heat of the sun, Shera was exhausted. She just lay on the sand while bringing the bow and quiver on her lap.

There was no wind to cool the sweat on her forehead. The waves were hitting the shore frequently creating a rhythmic sound. It was just the sound of waves and nothing else which helped Shera to somewhat focus. She was busy staring at the horizon and zoning out in organising her thoughts. She seemed really calm from the outside but only she knew about the tsunami of emotions happening on the inside.

Accidentally, her gaze fell on the quiver sitting on her lap, particularly on an arrow. The end of the arrow, the fetching, was missing. She pulled it out of the quiver and took it in her hands.

When she was absentmindedly examining the arrow in her hands, there was a faint rumbling noise that could be heard. The trees near the shore were swaying slowly due to the light wind. Shera was a little alerted because of the noise. She put the arrow back in the quiver and stood up, hanging the bow and the strap of the quiver on her shoulder.

She moved closer to the waves and checked to her left and right to see any signs as to what is the reason for the noise. After a good two minutes of having seen everywhere and not being able to locate anything, Shera decided to just move and go back to her hut as it was almost lunch time. She didn't feel like eating anything but she didn't wanted to worry anyone.

When she was almost 10 steps away, she heard a voice saying, "Did you miss me??".

Shera froze on the spot. Trying hard to recognise the voice she tightened her grip on the bow. Slowly she turned around and with what she saw, she was stunned. Her eyes grew big with disbelief and surprise and her grip on the bow unintentionally without her knowledge.

There stood, in all his glory, the King of Zodia, Jung Kook.