Chapter 11

They reached the place where the ritual will take place. It was looking beautiful but a little spooky. The area was decorated with white flowers that shone in the moonlight. It felt like little diamonds hanging on the trees. Their fresh fragrance was mesmerizing. There was a huge stone idol of the Goddess. Tribals had placed many flower garlands and also the special leaves on the idol for worship. People stood in front of the idol, a little farther away, in a U formation. In between the people and the idol, many logs were arranged in a circular manner for the bonfire. People paid attention to their looks a little extra today. They had their normal dress and along with that, the leafy crown and few extra drawings on their bodies were added. The drawings were glowing in the light emitted from the flame torches hung on the trees around the ritual place. It was time. The ritual began.

Chieftain would perform the ritual and one of the men would help him. Rest all would be standing in their places praying and chanting. The ritual began with men blowing horns. The collective sound resonated throughout the forest bringing a positive vibe in the atmosphere. Shaedi and Kuya played the drums rhythmically while Chieftain was chanting and spreading variety of colours in the air through his hands. Shera explained to JK that this was a way of invoking the presence of the Goddess. It is inviting her to be there with them for the night and enjoy their hospitality. It was a way of thanking her for protecting them all this time.

That went on for sometime. Later, everyone went closer to the circle of wooden logs. JK was a little confused but on Shera's signal, he followed her and stood with the people. He made sure to always stay with Shera so that he wouldn't make any mistakes. It all may have looked silly or superstitious but JK didn't want to damage or taint their customs, their belief systems. He decided to follow whatever they would ask him to do.

Everyone stood around that circle. On the command of Chieftain, everyone circled around it three times and after that, went back to their original places. Now, the men brought the offerings and placed them on the wooden logs. JK helped them. There were variety of fruits, flowers, animals. The drum sound intensified a little. Chieftain lit a flame torch in his hands. Showing the flame to the Goddess, he turned around and walked towards the wooden logs. He showed the flame to all the tribals watching and lit the logs. The sacrificial bonfire was lit. The fire spread all over consuming the offerings in a split of the second. The glow was beautiful, magical.

The blazing fire represented the presence of Goddess

The blazing fire represented the presence of Goddess. The more it was, the better. Everyone kneeled down and bent their heads down. After a minute, they bowed completely in front of the fire. All these acts were in such a synchronised manner, it was surprising. JK couldn't keep up with their accurate timings but still managed to follow it. Nobody said anything to him for that. They understood his situation and were happy with the fact that he was willing to perform his part.

There was no proof, but JK wanted to believe Shera's words and try it out for once. There was no harm in trying it out. While bowing he prayed his wish with full faith. Once he got up, he stared at the idol for sometime hoping for his wishes to come true.

The ritual was a success. Now came the grand feast. Women had prepared large amounts of delicious meal for the tribals. Everyone were busy with the preparations that they didn't pay attention to their stomach and now it was making all sorts of noises. Everyone dashed to the meeting place below the huge tree where the food will be served.

Each got their share of food and sat with people of their choices. They made groups within themselves, with people they enjoyed sharing the meal time with, with people they were comfortable with. There was a small bonfire set in the middle as a source of light. Once the meal started, the atmosphere became quiet. Everyone satisfied their hunger with scrumptious food. Their bellies were popping out. They were now exhausted and wanted to just hit the floor and sleep.

But Shera and her friends didn't wanted it to end that way. It was a yearly ritual. It should be a fun one, something they will look forward to in the next year as well. So, she and her friends Shaedi, Kuya and Tam decided to spice things up. Shaedi and Kuya brought the drums and started beating it enthusiastically while Tam blew the horn matching to the drum beats. In the meantime, Shera started pulling people up and danced with them.

Kids, always energised, jumped around to the beat shouting and screaming in joy, adding some fire to the exhausted atmosphere. Few men voluntarily joined and danced, while few refused to, but Shera insisted strongly and they couldn't refuse her. Later, similarly Shera pulled all the women to the dance floor. Chieftain was watching them happily while sitting in his place below the tree and eating the food.

It was JK's turn now. He was hatching all sorts of plans to escape but it is quite obvious that all of them will fail.
Shera, along with Shaedi and Tam, pulled him up. Shera was holding his right hand, Tam was holding his left hand and Kuya stood behind his back. Kuya pushed him, Shera and Tam pulled him towards the dance floor. There was no chance for him to escape. After a lot of hesitation, he started to slightly move his hands and legs. Shera made sure that he will dance.

JK was lovingly staring at Shera while she was happily dancing with her people

JK was lovingly staring at Shera while she was happily dancing with her people. He was observing her expressions, her smile and slowly falling in the ocean of love even without realising. Shera was like a fire cracker, always lightning the atmosphere. She was lively, jovial, cute and also fierce. No wonder everyone loved her. He thought of the conversation both of them had that evening and how much happy and relieved he was to have shared all those things with her. His body was involuntarily moving to the beats but his eyes were fixated on her movements, his mind occupied with her thoughts....

Like this, the ritual night came to an end. Or everyone thought so...
A little farther away from the island, a little deep in the ocean, a piece of the jet is lying. The jet in which JK was travelling, the same jet that crashed as a result of which JK is stranded on the island. And now, miraculously, it starts to emit a red and blue light......
What new things are about to unfold???