chapter.21

daisy

Daisy listened with a happy smile on her face. She had her head on Seth's chest, listening to the deep rumble as he read Cinderella word by word. Though a little staggered, she appreciated the effort he put in emphasising his words, making it as dramatic as possible. He also quietly, yet with full confidence, changed his voice to match the characters.

She remembered how thrilled she was to see the brand new book on the shelf in the prison common room. It was a dark, violent version of the classic fairy tale which made it a lot more fitting to be seen in such a place.

Seth was still treating her like a princess and doting on her every need. She didn't think it would be possible that his unique infatuation for her could increase but it did the moment she woke up and he wished her a happy birthday.

While locked away, time wasn't a factor. Maybe for some that were counting down the days but the longer Daisy was in there, the more she couldn't imagine being anywhere else. She would only trade one room with steel bars, for another room with flowered wallpaper.

She pined for the outside - to feel the freedom of walking to the ice cream shop, reading in her regular café and seeing the newly released books herself. But after endless time of wishing for something that wasn't coming for a long time, Daisy gave up and lost the will to leave. She was content and settled for the time being until the next yearning for freedom hit.

On days like her birthday however, she was torn. While the supposedly special day should hold meaning, it never did while she was with her family. It was more of a day she did whatever she liked, everything that made her happy all in one day. She was thankful that Seth was someone that made her abundantly happy and the love that he showed her was a blessing she didn't take for granted. A love like theirs only came once in a person's life, if they were to be so lucky to have that, and for the first time in her life, she truly felt like someone genuinely appreciated her being alive.

As soon as she woke up, he had scattered cut up pieces of pink paper hearts on the floor of their cell and apologised profusely for the lack of balloons and other decorations, claiming his crafting skills had reached their limits with the hearts.

She wondered if that is what had been occupying his time. Seth was recently disappearing more often, taking more phone calls and it made her worry. The change in routine increased her anxiety and made her feel like something bigger was happening.

But, she reasoned that perhaps his leadership was more in demand from the gang. Reluctantly, he'd tell her about the terrifying stories involving murder and drugs and all the things she was never exposed to before. She would force him to tell her once she had wracked up all her courage, treating is like a true crime documentary.

Although, it was still unnerving that her gentle giant Seth was a large part of the horror. Accepting of his gang was one thing but being supportive was something else entirely, something that she hasn't reached as of yet.

"Are you still listening?" He whispered into her hair, followed with a loving kiss.

"Of course? Why? Do you want to stop?" She pouted even though he couldn't see it.

"No, my angel. I just thought you might be bored. I don't know how you read so much so fast. I keep tripping over my words, it's embarrassing," he admitted.

While that was true, Daisy still adored him reading to her, enjoying both the undivided attention he gave her and the story itself. "You like me reading to you though?" she asked in confusion. Usually, he would listen to her read for hours and at the same time it would be all the books she knew he had no real interest in.