chapter.1

daisy

Her dark brown hair fell down her back in shiny waves, covering the back of the bright orange jumpsuit Daisy was forced into. The metal cuffs were cold around her wrists and the chilly air made her shiver. Her uniform was several sizes too big for her so she turned the long sleeves into mittens, covering as much of her skin as she could past the cuffs. The pant legs were folded loosely but luckily her white trainers fit perfectly on her size 3 feet.

Daisy spent most of the journey to the prison asleep, wanting nothing more than to wake up and realise it was all a terrible nightmare. She was occasionally woken by the driver's bad driving and the numerous bumps in the road. The three prison officers, in the car with her, conversed amongst themselves so she stayed quiet to avoid getting into trouble.

One of them, Dave, was the friendliest out of all of them. He had seen how terrified the little girl was and tried to make small talk. Daisy suspected that he took pity on her because he had a daughter around her age. He told her it was going to be her birthday soon and he had no idea what he was going to get her so he asked Daisy for advice.

"Stop talking to the criminal Dave." A large burly blonde man scolded from the front seat of the car. "She's not your daughter and she's not innocent." He added quieter.

Dave turned to Daisy and pulled faces, silently mocking the man. She giggled and but then looked down at her covered hands and the metal connecting them together with a sad expression as he realised the man's words were correct. She was a criminal now.

"Hey." Dave whispered, nudging her lightly. "You ok?"

She faked a small smile and nodded in response to the ridiculous question. Sitting a little straighter, she tentatively looked out of the window to see if they were there yet. Daisy might've asked them if she wasn't so scared. There weren't any buildings visible as far as she could see but then again, the bushes hindered her view.

As if Dave heard her thoughts, he said, "We're almost there." He glanced at her, looking nervous and worried. "You'll be fine." She almost laughed at how unconvinced he sounded of his own words.

The bald driver however, let out a sharp laugh, frightening Daisy a little at the sudden loud noise. "Don't lie to her. Those guys will eat her alive and who know's how literal that is. Crazy criminals are up to all sorts nowadays." The man next to him laughed along but Daisy only stared at them in horror and confusion.

"G-guys?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Dave stayed silents whilst the other men bursted into more laughter. "Yeah? You do know which prison you're going to, right?" The blonde guy said once he finished.

Daisy's cheeks grew pink in embarrassment. "I-I didn't really pay attention." she admitted shyly.

She looked to her left and saw Dave purse his lips together, before saying, "There wasn't anymore spaces in the women's prison and your parents didn't want you to go to another one so far away." She frowned at his hesitation, not liking where this was going. "Daisy, you're going to Bluebird Prison... for Men."

It was like the air was knocked out of her as the last word escaped his lips. Men?! She closed her eyes tightly as her imagination ran wild with thoughts of what could happen to her. She wasn't unaware of the dangers of the world, even if her parents liked to keep her away from the public. The news told her enough about what she could expect in the next year in prison.