chapter.3

daisy

She ate the rest of her breakfast in silence. Both because she didn't know what to say after he turned her cheeks scarlet, and because she wasn't a chatty person anyway. Luckily, it was a comfortable silence rather than the awkward ones she was used to with her family.

Daisy sat for a moment and sipped the last of her water, before Seth grumbled, "c'mon," as he stood up from the bench.

Daisy looked at him, slightly startled as she didn't know where he wanted them to go. "W-where?" she asked, stumbling over the word and the bench at the same time.

He put his hand on the small of her back to steady her, though he didn't let go as they walked out of the canteen and through a large hallway. If anything, he pulled her closer by wrapping his arm around his waist almost possessively. She thought he was very touchy-feely for someone she had only met that morning, but she didn't seem to mind all that much.

"The common room is where we go in free time." She assumed the 'we' was prisoners, which unfortunately included her now. "It's that, the gym or the yard outside." he added.

"Can w-we go out-outside?" Daisy didn't know why she was asking for this man's permission to go to a place together, as if they were a couple deciding where to have their date. It was ridiculous but something about Seth made her not want to leave his side.

He looked her up and down, frowning at her clothes and said, "you'll get cold."

How did this man end up in prison?! Daisy was baffled by how sweet and attentive he was. It made him more attractive in her opinion. Although, he didn't need any help in that compartment.

She smiled to herself, trying to contain the large grin that threatened to escape and freak everybody around her out. Daisy could almost laugh that the first time a male had taken a slight interest in her, he was a criminal for whatever terrible reason.

Too focused on her misfortune, she didn't notice they were in the common room until Seth patted her side lightly. "Here it is." He said, watching her reaction.

The common room was fairly large, not as big as the canteen though, and brightly lit with windows to see outside to the yard. There were clearly different sections of the room for different activities. In one corner, people were playing snooker and in another, was a games console and a large flat screen TV with couches in front of them. The games had men yelling in competitiveness and placing bets on who they thought the winner would be.

However, the more silent area held chess and other board games. This is where some of the older and less dangerous looking prisoners were. She couldn't hear what they were saying but from their lips moving, she knew they were conversing quietly, maybe even politely.

What peaked Daisy's interest the most, was the small bookcase full to the brim with books. It was no where near as big as her own massive library at home but it was still more than she could ever wish for in a prison. There were more couches and even a couple of bean bags in the corner, occupied by a few other prisoners. In the same section was a table and a messy box of paper and coloured pencils.

This time, Daisy was not afraid to show her full on cheshire cat grin. She looked at Seth with the expression, who let out a deep, masculine chuckle at her pure excitement. "See something you like?" He asked her, rubbing circles into her waist with his thumb.

She nodded frantically and pointed at the section with the books saying, "there, please." Daisy was aware she should have been acting more fearless and vicious to warn off predators but in front of books, she couldn't contain her eagerness.