chapter.2

daisy

The walls shook with the sound of bell, waking Daisy from her sleep. During the night, she wasn't able to get much and if she did, it wasn't very deep so she woke up exhausted.

She slowly sat up, remembering to bend her head so it didn't hit the top bunk, and groaned at the wet pillow, stained with tears. Her cheeks flushed in embarrassment at the thought of Owen hearing her cry throughout most of the night.

Her cellmate was standing in the small area they had next to their beds, leaning against the wall and looking out of the bars as if he were waiting for something.

"Good," she started but coughed from her dry throat. "Good m-morning." She said shyly to him.

He didn't look at her but replied quietly, "we don't have 'good' mornings here."

"Sorry." She quickly apologised. Daisy didn't really know what for but she didn't want to get on the bad side of anybody, especially her cellmate.

"You have to toughen up if you want to survive here. Can't go around being all small and quiet. You n-need to show people they shouldn't mess with you." He told her, pushing his glasses up his nose and avoiding all eye contact.

"So, I have to be tall and loud?" Her eyebrows creased at his advice.

He confirmed, "yes."

"I can't do that."

Just as he was about the reply, someone, who she assumed from the uniform was a prison staff member, wheeled a cart past their cell. He didn't linger as he quickly looked on the cart and passed some material through the bars of the cell to Owen, before moving along to the next one. She watched Owen quickly glance at the labels and then throw the balled up clothes at her, hitting her in the face. Daisy mumbled a thank you and then looked at what she was given.

Immediately, she could tell it was several sizes too big, just like her orange jumpsuit. With the little courage she had in the early morning with no food in her stomach, she shyly asked, "isn't there a smaller size?"

Owen turned to look at her and raised both of his hands in a mock defensive position, one hand holding his own prison uniform. "Oh I'm sorry, princess. Is that not good enough for you? I'm sorry they don't have Prada or Gucci here." He said sarcastically.

The malice in his voice made Daisy's eyes start to water so she lowered her gaze and played her fingers. She didn't even dare ask him about undergarments. Eventually, he sighed, before ordering, "get dressed before they open up the cells for breakfast."

Her eyes widened and looked up at the cell doors. If anybody walked by, they would be able to clearly see right into her cell. Then she looked at Owen with worry, wondering how she'd get changed with people watching.

He rolled his eyes and walked to her. Daisy shuffled back so she was close to the wall and further away from the cellmate. She watched curiously as he reached up to his bunk, grabbed his bed sheet and then walked to the cell door. Holding it up as high as he could, he covered the door with the white sheet, effectively blocking the view.

"Quick." He snapped.

She took this as the cue to get dressed as quick as she could. Though not taking any chances and risking her dignity, she crawled under her sheet and, while struggling, successfully changed out of her jumpsuit and into the grey sweatpants and top.