chapter.15

seth

It was any normal day. Their stomachs were satiated with the tasteless porridge and almost too ripe fruit. Though he had gotten used to the bland food and just as dull atmosphere, his angel hadn't. She asked for sugar in her oats and she received it, whether through Seth or a kind officer. She asked for more books and they turned a spare room into a mini library.

Everyone who was sane loved his sweet girl but no one loved her as much as he did.

Daisy's dainty little body was perched on his lap as she held the tarnished book in her hands with the next page already between her thin fingers. Her head lay lightly over his chest, directly where his heart was, and her mousy hair fanned over his torso with the odd strands being played with through his masculine fingers.

He watched her lips move around each word, somehow mesmerised by her voice yet not properly registering the story. Despite the incredibly loud room, he could hear her words clearly, each sounding like a small melodic whisper, as if only they were part of the secret. The room of people paid no attention to the two, knowing what would happen if they were caught staring. Although, he now felt like a hypocrite as he sat gawking at the beauty in front of him.

Her lips curled into an adorable smile as she read out loud, what he assumed to be a good part of the book. She would laugh when the characters laughed and cry when the characters cried, only to smile at him later and say how it was such a good book, despite the tears.

The sound of the bell and multiple guards shouting brought him out of his trance. He frowned at the pouty look on his angel's face as she closed the tattered book and hugged it close to her chest.

"What's wrong, my love?" He asked, pulling her to him.

She looked at him the innocent brown eyes he had come to love and whined, "we didn't get to find out who did it!" When he gave her a confused look, she let out a large defeated sigh and banged her head on his chest. "Did you not pay attention? This has been the best part!"
He smiled softly at her, something he never did to anyone else. "You're too distracting." He gently grazed her cheek with the back of his fingers, feeling the skin heat up as she realised the meaning of his words. "So beautiful." He murmured.

With her there in his arms and blushing profusely at the simple compliment, he marvelled at the fact she was here with him. Because in a room that held the most dangerous men, stood an angel.

~~~

"Hurry up inmate," ordered the officer as he painted the wall slowly. The smell was making him his migraine worse and the chattering around him was like torture. His fellow inmates were forced to stay silent whilst the prison officers spoke loudly as if they were doing it on purpose to annoy him.

"I'm not doing this any longer." Seth said in an annoyed huff, having enough of the manual labour.

Though he had control of most of the prison, they were careful to not make the forced favouritism official. If he wasn't doing a job once in a while, it would be too obvious to the authorities and much too noticeable to prison officers that he didn't control.

He had a good thing in Bluebird Prison and it would take weeks, if not months, to build what he already had if he were transferred to a different one. Not to mention, he'd rather kill every single person in the building than leave Daisy alone with a bunch of convicts, as hypocritical as that seemed.

His irritable mood only heightened because he was forced to leave his girl in their cell with a runny nose. Seth suspected she had a cold and all he wanted to do was nurse her back to health while smothering her in the kisses she asked him for before he left.