BRAND NEW WORLD

the next day, sif was getting ready to go to the lockwood mansion with damon. standing in front of the mirror, she gazed into her reflection. closing her eyes in concentration, she tugged at her powers. purple mist swirled and formed a dark cloud on the mirror.

eyeballs frantically moving behind her eyelids, she tried to pinpoint a location. somewhere she could find her brother. passing through all the new places she had searched on the internet, she looked for her brother. the dark cloud grew bigger and bigger, overwhelmed with unused energy. her fist clenched and her shoulders tensed. her eyebrows furrows as her lips frowned. her breathing grew heavier as she pulled at more magic. magic that had to place to go.

her body started shivering as she frantically searched for even a clue of where her brother could be. alas! before she could find anything, a hand rested on her shoulder, startling her and jolting her back to reality. her eyes snapped open as she turned to find damon standing with a concerned look on his face.

"you okay? you looked like you were about to have a seizure," damon said, solicitude leeching to his tone. sif took a deep breath to calm her down, and spoke, "i'm alright. i was just trying to find my brother. maybe he forgot the comet was suppose to happen this year and just needs me to reach out." she knew she was only trying to convince herself and justify her brother not approaching her. after all, elijah never forgot anything, he knew about the comet and if he hadn't come yet, there must be a reason.

damon looked at her with hooded sympathy. he knew she had been trying to find him for a while now. "did you find anything?" sif solemnly shook her head, unable to speak due to the lump in her throat. damon noticed the tears accumulating in her eyes and pulled her to his chest. she tightly hugged him back and burrowed her head in her neck. her muffled voice stammered, "why hasn't he arrived yet?"

damon gently rubbed her back as he tried to console her, "i don't know, honey. maybe he's just trying to clear everything on his plate so when he comes, he can stay without any interruptions." they both doubted it but sif nodded weakly, accepting the answer for the moment. the couple staying in each other's embrace for a while, taking comfort in the other's presence.

not wanting to be late, damon and sif reached the lockwood mansion a while later and sat in the living room with carol. even though her husband just died three days ago, carol lockwood was very put together, not wanting anyone to see her grieve. taking over her husbands duties, she asked, "so i understand john gilbert has left town. have they found the vampire that attacked him?"

damon and sif looked at each other and faced the lockwood matriarch, "well, the sheriff has asked us to take the lead on that and i promise you we will get to the bottom of it." thanks to her husbands friendship with the sheriff and their somewhat white lie, everyone who mattered trusted her. sif was officially a part of the council.

carol nodded, "which brings me to my next subject. with richard gone, i'll be acting as interim mayor until the elections and i'm going to need someone to spearhead out the council. i'd like that person to be you, damon." damon smirked internally, but kept the facade of concern up and said, "whatever you need carol. as a founding family member it's something that's very close to me so i would be honored to help keep this town safe from vampires."

sif chose not to gave any opinion in the matter, not wanting carol to have any reason to doubt her. she also had no will to engage in conversation, her mood still sour from that morning. damon squeezed her hand, silently sending support.

mason and tyler entered the house. upon noticing them, carol got up and closed the door of the living room. damon appeared concerned and asked, "is it safe to talk?" carol waved his worry away, "it's my brother-in-law, mason. he's still visiting. i just don't want him to hear us. he didn't want any part of the council when he lived here and i see no reason to bring him into it now." damon nodded.