19

DANGER

DANGER

"I'm just saying that Honda is better than Chevy in every way," I tell Rowan. 

Rowan was helping Sainte and I move into a place of our own, it'd been a few weeks since the fight, and I could walk pretty well but was not able to stand for a long time. I've been back to Denise a few times, making sure I'm healing right. 

Carl's crying tears burned into my vision, I know Sainte saw it too. I've never seen him that upset, I never cry. Crying doesn't get you anywhere, all it does is weigh down your eyes and make your nose run, it doesn't fix anything. I haven't seen him since he joined Sainte and me on the porch that night. 

He disappears a lot, he was around before but now, especially since I moved out of his house, I never see him. 

"No man, my 2001 Chevy Cruze was unstoppable," Rowan argues back. He walks in carrying a large box with Sainte's name written on it. 

"Yeah? Is your Cruze still with us today?" I chuckle, I go to help him with the box and he lifts it above my reach. 

"No way, you're not doing jack. You're already as fragile as a porcelain doll right now."

Sainte chuckles and takes the box from Rowan as she disappears up the stairs to her room. I sat on the couch in the living room making brief conversations with Rowan when he would pass through. 

I hate that I'm seen as fragile right now, especially after I killed a person only three weeks ago.

A knock came on the doorway, I try to glance around the corner, unable to see who it was. Rowan walks around from the kitchen where he can see the front door, he pauses, with an unreadable expression.

"It's rude to keep people waiting, boy."

Rowan flickers his eyes over to mine, he looked scared. He didn't speak to me, almost like he was trying to hide that I was there.

"Does Rick know you're here?" Rowan's voice had a quiver to it, I'd never seen him scared. I use my metered strength to stand up and walk over to him, limping on my fractured ankle. 

That's when I see the man that made Rowan shake in his boots, he was a bit tall probably 5'10 to 6ft, clean shaved and he branded a large gun. 

"I don't see how that's any of your concern, boy."

I appear next to Rowan's side, I could feel him side-eyeing me.

I put my hand on Rowan's stomach to push him back away from the door. He takes note and steps back. I sidestep towards the door, this strange man staring at me. He looked at me like I was a cat, always in the way and annoying. 

"Move," He barks at me.

With a big grin, I shake my head and chirp out, "No, get the fuck off my porch." With that I slam the door in his face, locking it after.