26

LABELS

LABELS

"So you and Carl?" Tara grins. I roll my eyes and keep walking without saying another word.

I'm not quite sure what Carl and I are, we've kissed a few times and slept in the same bed two or three times but we've never labeled it. 

"Oh c'mon, I won't say anything to Rick!" She chuckles. 

Rosita raises her eyebrow at the other girl, "Leave the poor kid alone."

I shake my head with a smile, "I don't know what we are, it's complicated I think."

Tara nods and kicked open the door in front of her, two dead people approached us but she was quick to make work of them. 

"What are you looking for exactly?" I ask taking out a pen and paper. I'm a note person I have always had things written down. I struggle with ADHD which was another reason my father would hit me because I can't keep still and can't remember. 

"Food, medicine, anything that we would need in this setting."

I jot down what I think we could need here. I scan the shelves for anything not expired or tampered with. I found some containers of honey so I throw those in my bag. That's when I found a box with canned beans. Those are perfect for fitting that criterion. The box was in the employee room with a door with a cracked window. I use the handle of my gun to bust open the window enough to open the lock. 

Rosita came over when I broke the glass. I wrapped Elowen's old bandana around my hand and wrist so as to not cut myself. I stuck my hand into the dark room, I should have known to have a locked door someone had to lock it. There had to be dead inside, there was. A dead person grabbed my hand and pulled me toward what I could only assume were their jaws. 

"Fuck," I mutter.

 I break the grip and manage to find my way to their decaying hair that looked worse than the Jersey Shore Girl's fake hair in the early seasons. I bring the dead woman up to the window where I shoot into her head that was now in my view. I drop the corpse further from the door so I can open it now.

Tara rounds the corner looking alarmed. 

"Careful?" Rosita snaps. Carl trusts her to keep me safe but I don't need others to keep me safe, I spent enough time outside to know how to take care of myself. 

I check over my wrist to see blood leak through the bandana, I quickly unravel it to see the cause of the cut. It was the glass I had to break in order to pull up the dead person. 

I yank open the employee room door, I pull the box of beans into view. 

"Bean casserole or some shit," I tell them with a smile. 

"Feel like that was worth almost dying?" Tara chuckles. Rosita smacks her hand and walks past the two of us. I'm shoveling the canned goods into my backpack.