30

SISTERS

SISTERS

I thought that dead people walking would be the strangest thing to occur when the world ended. My sister I hadn't seen since she was three was now standing before me. Everyone could see it on my face, it was highlighted. 

It would have been different if I thought she had died when the outbreak occurred but no she was supposedly gone for the years prior to that. 

I don't know what the correct emotion is right now, I have very little connection to the sibling in front of me. She suffered my father's abuse for less time than I did so she won't be able to follow along with my mindset. 

"Alora, listen," My sister reaches out for my arm but I pull back before she can even get in my air space. 

"No! How the fuck are you here?" I snap, looking the girl before me up and down. 

I hate how much she looks like me, she looks like a rougher version of how I did at her age. Even though I had Elowen looking after me, I was thin and as pale as my sister.

I feel a big hand on my shoulder and I glance back to see Daryl. "C'mon Alora, let's go," Daryl murmurs. I feel his fingers grip my shoulder and pull me back. 

"Alora, move it," Daryl tugs harder. 

I follow him back to my porch where Sainte and Rowan now joined the public alert on the street. In public Sainte still keeps private, she only speaks when she has to. I've only heard her speak around others a handful of times after the incident. Rowan usually does all the talking for her, I bet the people think something is up between the two of them but after living with Sainte I don't think that's the case but she could be hiding it from me. 

"Listen, kid, I tried to tell you this months ago. I knew your mom, she was a friend of my brothers but ion wanna get into all that."

I cock my head to the side and lean against the post like I had so many months ago when Carl practically forced me to stay. Even to this day, I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do. Sure I would have been all alone and I wouldn't have met the people I have but I also wouldn't have fallen for this stupid boy whose mother hated me. 

"I was out that night by the lake where they pulled yer mom out. She drove her car into that water and drowned, yer mom is dead. They never found yer baby sister," Daryl tells me. He never lost his southern twang even after so many years. 

"There's no reason Finley should be here though! How is she not dead?!" I ask him, pushing off the post. 

"Listen, Alora, I don't know how she is here. I just know yer mom died and yer sister didn't. Just be glad yer sister is alive and safe."

I shake my head and glance back to Finley. She stood alone with her back to the horse meanwhile Rick discussed with the others what to do with this strange newcomer. Rick didn't know my sister like he did me, he rescued me, and he was the savior when I was young.