31

MIRROR

MIRROR

"Forgive me if it's not all cohesive I just know what I do from the reports, but when mom threw me out of the car she expected I'd die and I think it's just so she didn't have to be around me when she was dying. Some old people found me on the road and took me to the fire station and left me there because they couldn't be bothered, I guess. Anyways, some people adopted me for like two years, and when I was like five the world ended. I got taken in by some people in Atlanta and then just kept moving up the coast."

I watch her body language as I comb through her hair, finally making some ground without having to attempt to cut her hair to rid it of the mats.

"Geez, Finn I'm sorry. I, um, I had a hell of a time too. Dad would beat me, I ended up sleeping on a cop's couch for a few years. The world ended and I bounced around a lot until I met Elowen, she was the sweetest girl. She took me under her wing and she was like an older sister to me. She protected me when I couldn't protect myself, she got bit a couple of months ago before I found this place."

Finley nods slowly, processing the things I was telling her.

"I bet that was tough, I'm sorry."

"It was, but how did you end up here? You showed up to Hilltop alone and then just appeared here? That should be impossible, Finn."

"It should be, especially since it's been somewhat 15 years since I've seen you," She says watching the people in the town carry on with their ways.

I'm sure Carl informed his father and his little community to leave us alone, although he didn't treat Finley as he did me when I first arrived if anything they should be stricter given what happened with Emma a few months ago.

"Call it fate, call it some fucked up coincidence, I don't really know, Alora," She continues.

I finish the braids in her hair, a simple Dutch braid, something that Elowen of course taught me. I do remember Lori telling me I should braid my hair to avoid rat nests, but she apparently didn't know how to teach.

"I didn't ever have anyone like an older sister looking out for me," She mutters as her hands travel to the braids.

"I didn't even know you were alive, I would have searched for you if I thought I even had a chance," I tell her while walking around to face her, her face was soft.

"I don't blame you, I barely remember you. I feel bad but truly, it's been so long I had no pictures. I just remembered your face, it hasn't changed. It would be hard to forget you, Alora," She spoke softly, her eyes steady on mine, I crouched in front of her using my sleeve to clean her dirty face.

"It's funny, kinda like looking into the mirror. I knew just from the first glance. Our freckles are the same, the eyes, hell even our smile."

She chuckles and nods, "Our mother's daughters and our father's regrets."