Chapter 9

Weiss: "Will I be the reason for my team's failure?"

Lapis: "Only you and your teammates can answer that. I am just an audience. Have a nice evening."

Lapis walks away and leaves her standing in the middle of the forest.

Lapis: "Besides, you don't want your team to fail because of you, right?"

Weiss looks down, a solemn expression on her face.

Weiss: "I…"

She looks up and sees Lapis not in sight anymore.

—--

The scene changes to the next day inside Beacon's battle Arena with Cardin standing proudly with his sword over his shoulder as Jaune stands in the opposite direction, exhaustingly leaning on his weapon. The scene changes to Lapis having a weirded out expression while Maize watches on with a frustrated expression.

Maize: "Both of them are really sloppy!"

Umbra: "You're one to talk…"

Maize: "I'm serious! I've trained my whole life with swords, I know my weapons!"

Umbra crosses her arms and rolls her eyes.

Umbra: "Whatever."

Lapis: "He has a point."

Umbra: "Huh?"

Lapis looks at Umbra.

Lapis: "I am not knowledgeable when it comes to swords in general, but every fighting style should have discipline, or even a hint of elegance with it. If you really have experiences in fights against other combatants, you can clearly see their experience and mastery of techniques."

Lapis sighs and shakes his head.

Lapis: "That makes Maize's opinions valid. Each of us has the right to criticise one's skill."

The scene changes to a tired Jaune looking at Cardin, who continues to laugh at him. The weakened combatant charges forward and swings his sword down Cardin but the intended recipient jumps back. Jaune looks back in surprise and raises his shield just in time to block Cardin's strike but sends him flying, leaving him with only his sword left, he shakes his head and swings his sword at Cardin, only to be easily parried with a mace until the two end up in a blade-lock.

Cardin: "This is the part where you lose."

Cardin towers himself over Jaune, who is struggling to hold back.

Jaune: "Over my dead-!"

Cardin's knee suddenly connected with Jaune's gut, making him let go of his sword and drop to the floor.

Lapis: "But I do agree with Maize, they both lack the proper skill, for a first year, that is."

Cardin is seen about to swing down his macd towards a downed Jaune but a white, purple, and blue axe flies towards Cardin's weapon and knocks it from his hand and the buzzer rings. Everyone looks at the source of the axe to see Sundown standing there with his arms crossed and an unamused expression on his face.

Sundown: "Mister Winchester, your opponent appears to have yielded, your actions are not what I want to see from a Huntsman."

Sundown presses a button on his wrist as his axe flies back towards him while glowing purple.

Sundown: "Cardin, take your seat."

Cardin shakes his head and walks back to his seat while grabbing his weapon as Glynda walks up the stage.