𝟐𝟕 - 𝐒𝐏𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒.

buckle up everybody it's time for the first big reveal ;)

No, no no no no no no no. Why? Why you?

I wished I hadn't asked. Even if it was only for a split second I could clearly see the momentary guilt flash through his gaze. Every so often I had heard the statement that 'eyes were the gateway to the soul' and I didn't understand its validity until this moment. As if throwing a pebble into a lake suspicion began to ripple its way into my mind, growing larger with each passing second.

"What do you know about my father?" I gripped the underside of the metal seat tightly, the cool feeling against my skin calming me down and preventing me from acting irrationally.

The only person who showed me kindness might have been deceiving me this whole time.

The realization sunk in like a thousand blades piercing my heart, stabbing through my chest as I felt tears begin to brim. No, don't cry.

Alhaitham shifted in his seat awkwardly and averted his gaze. "I won't tell you, as it would only hurt you more."

"Just tell me," I begged him, "please." Just because I didn't have the best relationship with my father didn't mean that I wanted him dead. If there was anything Alhaitham knew, I was desperate to find out so long as there was an iota of a chance that it would lead to a new discovery. No matter how selfish or childish I was being, I couldn't live with myself if I could have been able to save my father by sacrificing my dignity in this moment. I reached out and grabbed the sleeve of his jacket in desperation, trying to instigate any sort of reaction.

He showed no response to my pleas and just continued to stare at the window in silence.

Ah, this felt familiar. That's right... I...

I've never had anyone truly care about me.

I was foolish.

Why would that change?

Why would he be an exception?

Fool. I had been fooled again. I continued to blindly place my hopes in others only for them to shatter them in their entirety. Why can't I ever learn? I loathe myself. I can't even save my own father because I'm so useless.