𝟑𝟓 - 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐖𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐄𝐗𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

It was a rainy day

 It was a rainy day. Rain battered the windows and a methodic drumming sound was created, surrounding Alhaitham's house in an air of dreariness.

Yeong-su was scheduled to pick me up in an hour so we could drive to Heizou's office and Alhaitham was out at work, leaving me to sit in the silent solitude of my room. My mother had been blowing up my notifications in an attempt to reach me but I ignored her attempts in accordance with my resolve to move past the era where I let her control me. I didn't think I was at the point where I was ready to hear her out, so instead I allowed myself to ignore her even if it was just a short-term solution.

Ah, I guess I'll just wait until he arrives.

.  .  .

*quick a/n: this scene continues from where chapter 34 left off.

▇▇▇▇ is used to refer to the father's character. 

"...What do you mean by that?" Alhaitham questioned Ayato, his voice tinged with a bit of unusual anxiety. "Do you know something?"

His lips spread into a thin smile as he gestured to the files. "Take a look at the files I handed you, Alhaitham. Since (Y/n) seemed like a kind-hearted girl, I did a bit of poking around for her."
Alhaitham fingered the file open and allowed his gaze to flit over the contents on the paper.

Case of ▇▇▇▇ (L/n): assigned to detective Samuel Gregory.

UPDATE: The authority of the case has been shifted to Shikanoin Heizou upon request.

Upon request? Alhaitham specifically remembered Shikanoin Heizou informing him that he had been given the case rather than volunteering for it.

" ▇▇▇▇ had many enemies," Ayato's smile deepened, "and on top of that, he has a bad reputation. When I saw that Shikanoin Heizou directly advocated to get the case transferred to himself, I found it slightly suspicious. Hence I got someone to do a little bit of digging into Shikanoin's personal history."
Turning over to the next page, Alhaitham's heart dropped into his stomach.

Shikanoin Heizou

Age: 25 (07/24)

Familial connections: Shikanoin Kagura (mother, 55), Shikanoin Takuza (father, 60)

Other: Shikanoin Inori (wife, deceased)

"His parents...are still alive?" Alhaitham clenched his fists, causing the paper to crinkle up in his grasp. Was it really him the whole time? Something about everything aligning up now feels...too perfect.