Chapter 5

"Have you lost your mind?" Charming asked rising up from his chair. "It could work", Emma replied quietly on the other side of the table shifting her eyes to her hands. "Charming let her explain", Snow rose next to James landing her hand on his shoulder. "Fine", James sat back down.

"You could send me to Regina's castle as her "spy". I could tell her that you know she talked to me through the mirror and that you think that I'm her spy and going to tell her everything I saw and heard. I could try to convince her that I don't like you and then actually be a spy for you if she takes me in", Emma explained, Snow's face turned from happy to worried. 

"Emma, she rips out people's hearts, you could very easily die trying to convince her", she shifted her eyes to Charming that looked as concerned as she did. "She does what?" Emma asked her eyes wide. "She rips out people's hearts to kill them or to control them, it's a magic thing", Snow said.  "Oh, I'm still up for it. I don't have anyone back home that would miss me. I probably haven't even been reported missing by now", Emma felt uncomfortable talking about her life in Boston but it was the truth, she had no one. "You don't have friends? Family?" James asked.  "No, the only friend I have is a forty-year-old coworker who can't stop talking about her dog. And I was abandoned in the woods when I was born so I don't have any family either", Emma replied. "If you are sure you can handle Regina I guess we can't force you to stay. And if you succeed I promise to name you a knight and find you a way back home if you still want to", Snow said still unsure if it could work. "Thank you", Emma smiled. "When are we leaving?" she continued.

"I'm sorry I have to do this", Charming said just before pushing Emma out of the carriage, leaving her in the middle of a dirt road leading to Regina's castle. Emma rose to her feet cleaning and straightening her dress when Charming's carriage left in the other direction. 

Emma's heart beat faster and faster with every step she took towards the castle. The castle was huge, it was right below the mountains, but its towers were almost as high as the mountains were. It was surrounded by a thick forest and the air was a lot colder here than near Snow White's castle. 

Emma could see the castle's gates when two guards stepped in front of her from the dark forest. "What are you doing here?" asked one of the guards. "I need to talk to my queen" Emma said bowing with a slight smile on her face masking her fear. The guards shared a look before letting her walk past them. Emma walked to the gate to face two more guards. 

"What is your name girl?" Asked a girl not much older than Emma in a guard's outfit. "I'm Emma. Emma swan", Emma told her. "What are you doing here?" the guard asked. "I need to talk with my queen", she repeated. "I'll come with you", the girl said opening the gate leading to a big courtyard. Emma nodded silently and walked through the gate.

The courtyard was filled with guards, and all of them had the same black outfits. "The queen doesn't usually really get any visitors. How do you know her?" the guard walking beside Emma asked. "I've been recently turned to her side by Snow White and prince James", Emma tried to keep her voice cold and emotionless. 

"Who dares to say that name here?" Emma recognized the voice of the queen behind her just before reaching the door to the castle. She turned around to face Regina, she was wearing a long black dress with a black cape made of feathers. "My queen", Emma kneeled down in front of her. "Get up foolish girl. And you guard, go back to your place before I find someone else for the job", Regina demanded. Emma got up from the ground to see the evil queen smiling. "I'm Emma Swa-" 

"I know who you are. I would never forget the people I talk to through my mirror. What do you want?" Regina asked. "I was betrayed by Snow White, she thinks that I am your spy. She didn't believe me no matter what I told her so they put me in a carriage and threw me out of it just before your home", Emma explained, her voice shivering. "That didn't answer my question. What do you want?" Regina's expression didn't change. "I want to join your team, I can do anything you want to", Emma struggled with the words, she had completely forgotten what she was supposed to say. 

"Anything?" Regina's brow rose. "Yes anything", Emma replied quickly. "If you really are genuine you won't be bothered if I do this", Regina said stepping closer. "Do what?" Emma sighed. Before she could even react Emma felt the most pain she ever had in her chest. She couldn't breathe the pain forced her to close her eyes and stumble backward. When Emma finally got her eyes open the pain wasn't as bad anymore. Regina had a big smile on her face, she was looking at her hand. Emma glanced down to see a heart in the queen's hand, her heart. 

Emma's legs felt weak, her ears stopped working, and her eyes shut again when she fainted and fell to the ground.