Chapter 15

Emma hadn't seen Regina the whole day and the sun was about to set. She had looked around the entire castle but couldn't find her, they were supposed to practice fire control but soon it would be too dark. She teleported back to her room, looked at her still-empty desk again, and fell on the bed. Her eyes closed and she fell into a restless sleep.

Emma woke up when a cold wind brushed through her face. She opened her eyes and saw nothing but silhouettes of trees. The ground was hard and cold as she got up to her knees and looked around. "Time for lesson two", Regina said next to her. Emma looked up, Regina was wearing a slim long dress. "Where have you been the whole day?" Emma asked as she got up to look at her. "None of your business", Regina replied. "Why are we having the second lesson in the middle of the night?" Emma asked. "Could you stop asking everything?" Regina growled back, but Emma didn't respond. 

"Now we are doing the same thing we did yesterday, but eyes open", Regina explained. "It will be easier in the dark because it's almost like having your eyes closed",  she continued. Regina once again showed Emma an example by creating a fireball on her palm. "Now you do it", she said. Emma opened her palm and took a deep breath that ended with a yawn. She looked at her palm and tried to focus all her energy on it until her head hurt.

Nothing happened for a long time, Regina stood still next to Emma and didn't say a word. Emma took another deep breath and tried to focus her eyes on her palm barely seeing it in the dark. "What are you doing?" Regina finally asked. "Focusing my energy into my hand", Emma responded. "You're doing it wrong" Regina's strict voice echoed through the forest. "Could you tell me what to do then?", Emma asked. "Look at me", Regina said. Emma turned her head towards her. Regina's eyes shone in the moonlight. "Now keep your eyes on me and focus your energy on your hand", Regina said.

Emma visualized her hand in her mind, she looked into Regina's eyes which made it harder for her to concentrate. She felt like hours went by and nothing seemed to happen. Emma was about to give up when she finally felt something, a warm sensation on her hand. She couldn't resist the temptation to look, a tiny smile rose to her lips when she saw the little flame on her hand. But the flame disappeared as soon as she looked at it taking the smile away with it. 

"Did I tell you to look at your hand?" Regina asked when Emma looked back at her. "No", Emma replied putting her head down. "Let's try this again", Regina said, she lifted her hand to Emma's chin and pushed her to look back up. "Just focus", Regina said in a soft voice as Emma's eyes met hers. Emma relaxed her shoulders and let out a sigh, she lifted her palm up and focused all of her energy on it.

The sun rose quickly revealing Emma's tired face. Regina looked like she had slept the whole night, she was full of energy. "How do you think you did?" Regina asked and shifted her eyes away. "I could have done better", Emma said. "True but when you did not look at your hand and did not focus too much on what you were feeling on it, there was a little flame in the middle of it. I think it stayed there for an hour at most. You probably didn't even notice it", Regina said, her expression did not change so Emma didn't know how she actually felt but couldn't keep herself from smiling. She had done it.

"You can rest the next night. You need more energy to create bigger flames", Regina said when they were walking back to the castle. "Thank you", Emma sighed. "There is one thing I do need you to do before that", Regina continued like Emma hadn't said anything. "What is it?" Emma asked. "Teleport to your room. Then I know you still are worth my time", Regina told her. "See you there", Emma almost laughed and did just that.

Emma's room felt almost cold as she arrived there in seconds. "You weren't kidding", Regina said behind her. "At least there's one thing you can do right", she continued as Emma turned to look at her. Emma rolled her eyes and laid them on Regina. She was smiling slightly, but it faded quickly.  Regina took long steps past Emma, she brushed her shoulder slightly before Emma could get out of the way. Regina walked straight out of the door and closed the door behind her, leaving Emma alone.