Chapter 13

Emma sat against the door until her stomach hurt from hunger so much she had to lie down. Holding her stomach with her hands she heard her own words echoing through her head, but they weren't her words, not really. They were Regina's words, she had said all of those awful things to Snow White. Emma closed her eyes, but it didn't change anything the words echoed again and again until she felt like she would go crazy.

"Get up", a familiar voice broke her echoing thoughts, she opened her eyes but didn't see anyone. "Now, please", the voice said again. Emma got up to her knees and pushed herself to her feet. "Graham? Where are you?", Emma asked. "Right here behind you", Graham said. Emma turned around but still didn't see anything. "Why are you here?" she asked. "Queen's orders. I'm supposed to lead you to eat dinner", Graham told. He reached his hand until he could find Emma from the darkness. 

"How can you see anything in this darkness?" Emma asked. "It's not actually dark. The Queen casted a spell on you that makes everything seem darker than it is", Graham explained. "Oh," Emma replied as they walked down a staircase that felt like it would never end. 

"Your companion is here", Graham said as he let go of Emma. The light came to her eyes like a gunshot when the spell broke. Emma covered her eyes until they stopped hurting. "Welcome. You can see again I assume. The spell worked just as I wanted it to", Regina laughed from the table. "Please sit down", she said when Emma opened her eyes again. Emma sat down on the other side of the table, her plate was already full. 

"I hope you learned your lesson and won't disobey me again", Regina took a sip of her wine. Emma didn't respond. "We can start lessons again tomorrow morning", Regina continued. "What does controlling and creating fire sound to you? I can teach you whatever you want", she asked. "Why?" Emma asked. "Why, what?" Regina raised her right eyebrow. "Why do you still want to teach me?" Emma asked. "Why wouldn't I? It's your birthright to be able to control your powers. We wouldn't want you to get out of hand would we?" Regina explained. 

Emma finished her plate and stood up to leave. "I am aware that you are upset, but I hope you get over yourself as soon as possible", Regina said. "Oh, and I casted a protection spell around my lands, no one, not even you can get through them. You can use your magic all you want but you will not be able to cross the border with it. If I was you, I wouldn't even try", she continued, her words made Emma stop on her track and turn around to face her. "As if I had any place to go anyway", she sighed before turning back around and leaving the dining room.

Emma found her way back to her bedroom and fell to the bed. It felt way more comfortable than the cold floor she had slept on. A thought crossed her mind as she laid on her back, she may not be able to leave but she might be able to send a message to Snow White. Emma stood up and searched through the drawers for a pen and some paper. She found a small piece of paper, a quill, and some ink and began to write:

"Dear Snow,

I didn't mean anything I said. It's horrible here. Regina used my heart to talk through me. I'm so sorry for making you feel bad. I'm trapped in the castle, Regina casted a spell to keep me inside her lands, which means that I can not see you again.

 I hope that you read this and that you answer me.

Emma"

Emma scrolled the letter to a tiny roll and hid it in her corset once again. She teleported herself outside the castle, right next to the apple tree. It would be her only chance. She looked up the tree until she spotted a white dove. "Hey", she said quietly to the bird as it landed on a branch near her. "I have this letter for Snow White. Could you take it to her?" Emma asked, the dove chirped happily and offered one of its legs. Emma carefully tied the letter on the dove's foot, the bird flew up when she was done and headed towards Snow's castle. Emma gave it a small wave as it flew away from her sight. 

Emma teleported back into her room, she was amazed at how easy and natural it started to feel. She had been scared for the first couple of times but now she had started to love it like it was something she was supposed to do, a part of her she didn't know she needed. Emma sat down on the bed, she took off her shoes and her corset before getting under the blanket. The sun hadn't set yet but she felt exhausted, her eyes forced themselves to be closed as she fell into a dreamless sleep faster than she ever had.