Chapter 18

A week went by slowly as Emma was trying to execute her plan to steal a lock of Regina's beautiful dark hair. "Where are you going this morning?" Emma asked at breakfast like she had the last three days in a row. Regina had moved from the other side of the long table and sat next to Emma as they ate. "Horse riding", Regina mumbled and took a sip of her water. "You can come with me if you want", she continued. "No thanks, I don't really feel like riding today, but of course, if you insist I come with I can't say no to you, my majesty", Emma said wanting to roll her eyes. "You can stay in today", Regina replied with a slight smile. She had smiled more in the past week than in the whole three months Emma had lived in the castle.  

"I'll see you at dinner", Regina said and left the dining hall. Emma took her chance and teleported to her room. She changed her morning gown to a more formal blue one and strapped a leather corset on top of it. Emma couldn't be sure if Regina was actually gone or not yet, so she decided that going by foot across the castle would be safer than teleporting to her chambers. 

Emma tried her best to find her way but even after all of the long and painful months, the castle was like a maze to her. Sometimes she was sure that the castle was reshaping itself so she couldn't get used to it and she wouldn't have been surprised if it was the truth. Emma walked down a long corridor but none of the doors seemed like the right one. She knew she wouldn't be able to ask any of the guards to help either. No one could know what she was up to. Emma reached a dark hallway that seemed somewhat familiar. This had to be the one. There was only one door, with a golden handle. Emma pressed the handle slightly and the door creaked making the whole hallway echo. She looked around nervously but saw no one.  

The room was pitch black. Lucky for Emma she had learned to keep a tiny flame in the middle of her palm, she just had to breathe very slowly. She opened her palm and manifested a tiny flame on it, it made just enough light so she could see what was in front of her. A tiny "Yes", escaped her mouth when she saw Regina's desk ahead of her and the silver hairbrush on top of it. Emma rushed to the desk and grabbed the brush with her free hand, it didn't have a single piece of hair. "Fuck", Emma sighed and put the brush back on the table.  She opened the desk's drawers but couldn't find anything in there either.

Emma was about to leave when she heard a faint sound. "Who's there?" asked a man's voice Emma had never heard before. Her muscles tensed up and the flame in her hand disappeared as her breathing fastened but a slight curiosity made her stay instead of running. "Who are you?" the voice asked again, now closer. "Could ask the same", Emma whispered and forced herself to calm down so she could get another flame on her palm. "Look at me", the man said, Emma looked around but didn't see anyone. "Here on the wall", the voice guided her. Emma stepped closer to the back wall of the room but didn't see anything else but an old round mirror. "You have beautiful hair", the man said and a face appeared in the mirror. Emma took a step back. "Don't worry, I'm not like that witch", the man said. "You can call me whatever you want", he continued. "How did you get in there?" Emma asked. "Guess twice", the mirror rolled his eyes. "Regina", Emma sighed and the mirror nodded. 

"Do you not have a name?" Emma asked, the mirror shook his head. "Would you like one?" Emma asked again. "Yes please", the mirror sounded almost desperate. "How about Sidney?" Emma suggested. "I like that a lot, than you miss..." Sidney said but stopped in the middle of his sentence. "Swan. Emma Swan", Emma said. "That's a beautiful name on an even more beautiful girl", Sidney said with a big smile that quickly faded. "You have to get out of here. Right now", he said. "Why?" Emma asked. "The queen is coming", Sidney replied. "Do you know how I could get some of her hair?" Emma asked fully knowing she shouldn't waste any time. "Try her bathroom, it's one level below this one", Sidney said and disappeared from the mirror just as the door behind Emma opened.

The room was eaten by light when Regina stepped inside. Emma turned around quickly just to see Regina's speechless expression. "What are you doing here?" she asked with a demanding tone, all of the happiness from the morning had faded away. Emma wasn't sure what to say so she kept silent, Regina took a few steps closer to her. "What are you doing in my private room?" she asked again. "I wanted to confess something and wasn't sure how else to find you after your ride", Emma lied before she could think. "You could've just gone to the nearest mirror", Regina said. "No, I wanted to tell you face to face", Emma said, she could feel her palms heating up. "What have you done? Don't tell me you burned down your room on accident while practicing", Regina said, her face looked more confused than angry. "No nothing like that", Emma said taking a step closer to her and the door out of there. 

"I think I'm -" she started, her face turning red from embarrassment. "No need to say more. I know what's going on", Regina said, and before Emma could realize what was happening Regina's lips were on hers. The kiss was strong, almost desperate. Emma froze, this was not what she meant but at the same time, she liked it more than she should have. Regina didn't stop, she landed her palms on Emma's waist and pulled her just a little closer. Emma couldn't do anything but give in to her emotions she hadn't even realized she had towards Regina. Emma didn't want to let go anymore, she wrapped her hands behind Regina's head, her lips were soft and she smelled like sweet red apples. Neither of them knew how much they had wanted to do this for a very long time.