Chapter 1: New Girl

It's a cool day for the middle of August in this god forsaken city our mother has brought Priscella and I to. Though she wouldn't tell us why, apparently, we had to move quickly in the dead of night.

And so, we packed all of our things and left the only home we've ever known. Our new house was much smaller and needed a ton of renovations but that's what my mother got for moving us so quickly. I don't know how she got the house so fast; it must've been preemptive. She was always rash with her decision making.

A car speeds past me standing on the sidewalk in front of my new house. It was a poor neighborhood with kids riding bikes in the street and families sitting outside on their chairs. The house was guarded by an old metal fence rusting on the bottoms of its poles. I open the gate, dragging the metal on the pavement. Who built this thing? They clearly overestimated the sizing.

There were rocks all over the pathway leading to our door. The grass was brown and full of weeds. I opened the screen door first, then the wooden door, slamming the screen as it flew back.

"Millie, don't go slamming that door! Where's the box labeled silverware Priscella?" Mom screams at me but tells Priscella. I roll my eyes, plopping my body onto our new sofa we got from a friend.

"It's a screen door, it's always going to do that" I talk back. I look over at mom in the kitchen rummaging through boxes on the countertop, her hair in a clip but still looking effortlessly beautiful. No matter where she went, people would stop her to tell her how beautiful she was. 'You don't look a day over 28' they'd say. My sister stomps her feet into the living room.

"Mom, I swear to god, If I missed cheer tryouts, I'm going to kill myself." She's unwinding her straightener and looking stressed out. Mom is too busy unpacking to care.

"Hun, it's been one week into the school year. I'm sure you're fine.. Please Millie stop being lazy and unpack." I didn't want to unpack. I don't even want to live here. But I had no say in this.

I had one friend back home, Jackie, she was fun and took me out of my shell. I missed her. She helped me become who I am today. Over the summer, she gave me a makeover and showed me how to be confident. I lost my glasses, acne and grew my hair out. I was a completely different person. Totally hot.

Although now, I looked more like my mom than ever before, and I hated it. Mom walks over to me, handing me a protein bar and waves another at Priscella to grab.

"Must you always make my life difficult, unpack and be ready for school at 7." My sister snatches the bar and sneers my way.

"Poor Millie won't know how to make friends cuz she acts stuck up." I feel myself sinking into the old sofa like that drug commercial, but I had to come up with a comeback. I was not stuck up; I just didn't like people. My mother and sister aggravated me a lot, I couldn't wait to move out on my own and away from them. Maybe Peru? Or Tokyo? But Priscella was bugging me right now.

"I can make friends I just don't want to, hell I'm sure I could even find a boyfriend before you." This triggered Cella like I knew it would.

"No guy wants to date a bitch and I could get any guy I wanted." I laugh so loud I think the neighbors heard. Dogs started barking. This was our sister relationship. We would bicker at times and other times we would get along. However, since my new look, Priscella has been bitter towards me.

"Your delusional" Mom had already made her way back to the kitchen. She drops Tupperware on the floor frantically.

"No one is allowed to date until college, that's the rule, especially you Millie." Oh my god this again. She always favored Priscella, letting her do whatever she wanted, while she cracked the whip on me.